Menu

Menus 4 Moms with a picky eater???

I've really been wanting to do this; love the concept and the meals look good to myself, dh and dd. Ds, however, is another story! He eats a lot of fruit, a few veggies, but is real picky about meat & fish. Right now, I have him have at least one or more bites of the protein (depending on if he's had it before-more bites if he has) and always make sure he will eat our veggie, fruit, and there will be another item-yogurt, cheese, etc.. That's been okay, but he doesn't like anything with a sauce, or casserole like. So.... How do I do Menus 4 Mom's or any of those weekly things?Which would be waaay easier for me.

For instance: This week: Monday-Stir Fry (HA), Edamame (double HA), Tuesday-Frozen Ravioli w/ spag. sauce (won't do tomato sauces-usually I do it with butter), salad (ha, again), Wed-Roast Sticky Chicken (might have it), Green Bean Casserole (no way) Sweet Potatoes-yes

Anyway, you get the idea. I'm not going to do the separate menu thing, so if that's the case, he won't be eating most of it. Yes, I know he won't starve, but he won't be getting what he needs nutritionally. And, he'll be happy about it. He'll just make up for it at breakfast & lunch. No veggies at breakfast, just the lovely carbs that he lives for.

Help me if you can. Or any other menu ideas that are like this?

Thanks

If you go to menus for moms in the basic menu section they have an archive. All their menu's with recipes for several years I think. Look through the various menu's and find 5-10 of them that you think will work for your family. (grocery lists are included as well) Just use them, tweak as necessary, and rotate through them to keep variety going. I have a nice folder with my weekly menu plans and I just decide what week # I want to use that week. I only have 'fall/winter' comfort food menu's right now. Come spring I'll make up some more with lighter 'warm weather' menu's to pick from.

Um....howbout if he doesn't care to eat what you fix for dinner, you serve it to him for breakfast when he's a little hungrier. And then, he can always eat it for lunch, if he isn't quite hungry enough at breakfast. OK, I really am sympathetic. I'm a picky eater, and I have kids who are picky eaters as well. BUT, you still need to stick to your guns. If he can wait it out, knowing there's good stuff for breakfast, you will NEVER make progress on this front. Kids have an amazing capacity to outlast you. I think I'd make sure he had something he didn't like at every meal until he loosened up a little. Oh, and make sure there is *really* good dessert after dinner, so he knows he's missing out. My 13yo still tries all the tricks to get out of eating stuff he doesn't like. Such as saying "I have to go to the bathroom" so he can flush the green beans. Uh huh......I'm SO onto him now. He is mildly SPD, so I understand his struggle, but he still has to eat what I fix.

I so feel your pain!!! Both of my boys are picky eaters. I absolutely abhor making menus because I know they won't touch most of what I make. Neither will eat meat unless it's an occasional chicken nugget or shrimp scampi (go figure). Many times they just don't eat supper because they refuse to try their food. Other times I cave and make mac-n-cheese for my 3 yr old and toss some goldfish crackers at the 18month old. Of course, the 3 yr old has gotten to the point where he'll take a few bites of something I know he hates in order to get something he likes...like bread.

I'm not familiar with Menus 4 Moms, but you're probably gonna have the same problem regardless of what menu system you use.

Sounds like your main problem are protein sources. Will he eat scrambled eggs? Pizza? Quesadillas with chicken slipped in? Beans and rice (complete protein)? Nuts? Hummus?

First of all, thanks for the info on the archive at M4M (not totally with it yet). That may work, because he is getting better. Never would touch an egg before, now he does. Also, would never touch chicken that wasn't breaded-now, he's not thrilled, but he does eat a few bites. So, there is progress. I think if I go to the archive & weed through it, we can start there, and hopefully he'll get better.

On a positive note, dd eats anything. And, I've discovered if we eat dinner later than usual so that ds is really hungry, he does better. Gee, that makes sense-eating when you're hungry!