Menu

Help me find a new math curriculum

Tabrett

My dd is 6 yo. We have struggled and struggled with RS for a year and a half. Last year we did half of RS A and then switched to SP Earlybird. SP was very easy for my dd while RS was and still is a struggle. I proceeded to RS B this year since the first half of the year is review. Things were going OK until I started reading about what my dd should know for the upcoming 1st 9 weeks test. My reaction was, "when were we to have learned that information!" It must have been with the few mental math questions asked at the beginning of each lesson. Unfortunately those were the questions my dd struggled with the most. She doesn't "see" the math in her head like the book says she should. My 4 yo son is quicker to answer mental math question than she is.

So....What math curriculum doesn't try to teach mental math in first grade? I need something inexpensive, has more worksheet style lessons (my dd learns better when she writes things down) and lots of repetition. Would Rod and Staff math accomplish the above?

I would try SP, but I'm afraid she would run into the same kinds of mental math problems as in RS.

I am doing Singapore Primary 1a math but adding in Abeka All About Numbers 1 (1980's edition Abeka math) with my ds 6.5. R&S is nice and definitely teaches to rote math. I have used it for 2nd grade with my girls. I would think R&S Math, MCP Math, Horizons, Abeka, BJU...any of that would be right up your alley for worksheet style lessons.

Price wise...I think R&S would be cheapest for the books. However, you are expected to make a felt bird and felt chicks to teach with in 1st and in 2nd you are expected to make bees and blossoms posters and sailboats and ships posters as well which does take a bit of time up front. However, my girls definitely know their addition and subtraction facts after R&S 2.

I am thinking of doing a Singapore/MCP Math combo for my girls. I like Singapore and the mental math, but I do feel the need to have a traditional approach as well so we do both.

For my visual learners I went straight to Math U See. It is a mastery program (with built in review worksheets) and uses blocks to teach and do the math work. We use the weekly dvd lessons (which I usually watch with my children) and then they have practice work and a quiz for each section. It's very clear.

I haven't tried the other math programs so no help comparing them, sorry.

PS I bought my blocks and program used to help with the price.

CLE Math. Period. It is exactly what you describe. I had the same problems with dd with RS-turned out she needed a spiral approach to math. CLE solved the problem!

Do a search for it on these boards-tons of informative posts about it.

:iagree: CLE seems like a perfect fit. I use it for my not-super-mathy kids and she loves it. We will be adding in a more mental math component, but she is 9. Check out the samples at http://www.clp.org/store/by_course/45. The link is to CLE 1st.

We love McRuffy. It does have mental math but we just started it with about lesson 55 or so. It is 10 questions and it works like this. They letter their paper a-j, or you can do that ahead of time, then I say 2 numbers and she adds them together mental and writes the answer down.

My dd looks forward to math everyday and is doing really well with it. I love that it includes hands on things but isn't over the top. One of her favorites is the spaticial relationship work they do with 1 inch color cubes and pattern blocks.

We've used CLE in the past and I can say that getting their flashcards made it easier because they are grouped by letters, you could make them yourself but I thought it was worth the cost to save the time. You will need the TMs, They have you dictate the word problems for a while and if you don't have the TM you wouldn't know what to do with that part. You would most likely be able to skip the first light unit. They do have a diagnostic test for math placement.

Here's the test CLE MATH 100-400 placement test and the guide for it, CLE MATH 100-400 GUIDE

Edited by nukeswife

For my visual learners I went straight to Math U See. It is a mastery program (with built in review worksheets) and uses blocks to teach and do the math work. We use the weekly dvd lessons (which I usually watch with my children) and then they have practice work and a quiz for each section. It's very clear.

I haven't tried the other math programs so no help comparing them, sorry.

PS I bought my blocks and program used to help with the price.

Math U See is working very well for us. The blocks are really helping my son to understand math instead of just memorizing facts - he can see why 2+2=4 instead of just parroting it back to me. He enjoys math and I sometimes find him hiding behind the chairs or under the table, "sneaking" in a bit more homework.

I like the worksheets and the built in review in each lesson, and there is a worksheet generator at MUS online if he needs a bit more review. Definitely buy used, if you can, but you'll get your money's worth if you buy new, imo.

Not sure if you saw this in the other thread, but I suggested you go back to RS A with your dd before you give up for good. Not that I'm opposed to changing, but it just sounds like she's misplaced and in the wrong level. Since you only did half of level A, that's what I would go back to. The levels of Singapore you did are not equivalent to level A, and she may be on the young end of her grade. I'd try going back to level A and see if things don't click better. And add in some written drill like the Abeka Tests and Speed Drills book or CLE or Horizons. I just wouldn't conclude she *can't* do it if the issue is developmental.