Menu

Is it okay for my daughter to take oscillococcinum in her applesauce?

She started showing flu symptoms last night (dh is just recovering now and I'm hoping to avoid it - taking lots of garlic and extra vitamin c) so I started her on a dose of oscillococcinum. It didn't go well - she seriously hates to take medicine of any kind and it was a real battle. Same issue this morning.

I was going to try dissolving some in water but I figured if she knew about it she wouldn't swallow it anyway so I ended up mixing it up with her applesauce. Can I keep doing that or is she losing all benefits of taking it by doing it that way?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for other things I can do to ease her through this? So far she's only got a mild fever, very tired, slightly stuffy nose and a bit of a cough.

Thanks!

I have no idea how the oscillococcinum tastes, or if it is suitable for crushing, but for 6 months, I gave my then-2 yo a daily dose of an antibiotic crushed up in a spoonful of chocolate syrup. She still, at age 9, has a strong gag reflex, and I occasionally give her whole pills in a spoonful of chocolate syrup. Chocolate syrup has a much stronger taste than applesauce, so it might do a better job of disguising the taste.

Terri

Oscillo tastes like sugar to me -- I'm surprised she didn't like it.

I'd think that it's fine to add to a spoonful of applesauce or peanut butter. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing...

I'm not a big fan of tricking kids, but in this case, I might be tempted to call it candy, tell her dad (within her hearing) that it's too bad she can't have some b/c she's sick, and see if she asks for it. :P

Other things to try to get into her:

Vitamin D3

Zinc

Antioxidants (A,C,E, etc.)

HIH,

Lisa