Menu

Multi-Age Curricula "All-In-One"

asta

Hi Everyone,

My tiny homeschool group is filled with moms of many kids. And they are all overwhelmed by curricula. One of them asked me if I knew of a list of "Multi-Age" curricula -- curricula that was easily adaptable across grade levels so that she wasn't trying to teach 16 different subjects every day.

She really isn't ready for the full-on WTM approach, and has one developmentally delayed child.

All of the kids are grade 8 and below.

Most of these moms prefer non-religious curricula, but if they were presented with something they could adjust (like how many people adjust Sonlight), that would be alright.

Ideas?

a

WinterPromise can accommodate a variety of ages and can easily be non-religious.

I'd think SOTW would also accommodate a variety of ages and doesn't seem overly religious either. (Sonlight used these books in Cores 6 and 7 for the older kids.)

My Father's World would perfectly fit the majority of your description, except for the Christian content. It would be hard to do MFW without it. Would be a great choice for the Christians in your group, or even non-Christians who are open to reading the Bible from a historical standpoint.

Winterpromise can be adjusted depending on which program you are talking about. Ancients and Middle Ages are based on a religious spine. Some of the science has a lot of young earth content. If someone wants more direction on using WP secularly then they are welcome to ask questions on our secular WP yahoo group. I would say their strength is American History, which can be used for a wide range of ages and is secular as is.

REAL Science Odyssey can span the ages for science. Level one of History Odyssey is comparable to SOTW. Hewitt Homeschooling has an American History based year that can be adapted up and down with their resources (I would think 1st-4th grade). HTH

Unit Studies

Five in a Row for 4-8 year olds, and Beyond Five in a Row for 8-12 year olds. It is easy to leave off the Bible/Christian character lessons if you want it secular.

Konos

History

Biblioplan (there's a lot of Biblical history in year one, but the other years would be more secular)

Living History readers (about 10 of these available through Queen Homeschool)

Science

Home Science Adventures - http://www.homeschoolscience.com/

Great Science Adventures (written by Dinah Zike)

Books by Jean Henri Fabre (Story Book of Science, Animal Life in Field and Garden, Story Book of Birds and Beasts are available through Queen Homeschool; others are available elsewhere)

Animal Autobiographies series (available through Queen Homeschool)

Pagoo (Hollings)

Awesome Ocean Science

Ring of Fire Earth Science - http://www.sciencekitsforkids.com/ (if you got the activity guides and the level 1 texts, that would cover everyone from K to about 6th/7th grade)

Math

Math on the Level - http://www.mathonthelevel.com/

HTH.

Blessings,

Laura

My Father's World would perfectly fit the majority of your description, except for the Christian content. It would be hard to do MFW without it. Would be a great choice for the Christians in your group, or even non-Christians who are open to reading the Bible from a historical standpoint.

I was going to say the EXACT same thing! MFW would fit perfectly, but the Christian content is pretty intergrated.

AWOA would be a good fit. If you leave out the Bible Studies there is not much else Bible focused. Now we are only in the first unit on Egypt so I could be wrong as it goes further. But I am actually not leaning towards this next year because of the lack of Bible. But it is very open and go.

I think, since they are all quite young, she is feeling the pinch of "I must sit down with each kid for each subject, and they are all doing something completely different in each subject."

I must say, if I had multiples, we would *definitely* be doing a strict WTM history/lit cycle - I don't know how else we would accomplish it! LOL

a