Menu

I'm not doing school with my 3 year old,

I'm not, I'm not, I'm not. It's just that every morning she joins us at the table demanding exactly every thing that I do with the olders. So now she is memorizing math facts, recognizes almost all her letters, can copy most of them, writes her name and my older dd 6 has decided that she needs to learn all of the Classical Conversations memory work. I'm not homeschooling her, I'm not, I'm not, I'm not!

Really. My goal was to let her play and color and look at books and put puzzles together and such until she was 5. Honest.

I'm not, I'm not, I'm not. It's just that every morning she joins us at the table demanding exactly every thing that I do with the olders. So now she is memorizing math facts, recognizes almost all her letters, can copy most of them, writes her name and my older dd 6 has decided that she needs to learn all of the Classical Conversations memory work. I'm not homeschooling her, I'm not, I'm not, I'm not!

Really. My goal was to let her play and color and look at books and put puzzles together and such until she was 5. Honest.

Greetings, Future Me! ;)

My 2.5yo has begun demanding paper and crayons when the big kids are doing seat work. He calls out numbers when we play math games. He tries to mimic the girls' recitations. He listens to SOTW with us.

I was seriously considering holding off on any formal work until he turned 6. I just don't see that happening anymore!

My oldest does "school" with my 3 year old on Fridays. Last week, the built an elaborated cardboard house and filled it with objects that started with the letter B.

Sometimes we have conflicts or company, and her "school" is not my first priority. She announced to an entire room full of Boy Scout parents, "I'm not a very good reader because they always forget to do my school!"

Fortunately, my 11 year old has taken up some of the slack. She watches Miss Bossy when we do evening chores, and has started giving her Art lessons and working on nature study with her.

Greetings, Future Me! ;)

My 2.5yo has begun demanding paper and crayons when the big kids are doing seat work.

My 2yo DD is the same. She is also trying to read as i am teaching DS but everything is eeeeeee or mmmmmm at the moment which is very cute although not for the 1000th time in 2 mins :lol:

Ohhhhh....I know how you feel!! I try to get my 2.5 yr. old to do fun crafts while we do school. I even organized a preschool bag swap so she would have some fun activities. But, nooooooo, she wants to do "school" which, in her mind, means talking over me and/or repeating everything the kids or I say:) Just yesterday we were reading SOTW and she was sitting there with her Secret Garden book (and it's not even a picture book....so odd) saying " Mary and Dickon go outside" and on and on. I asked her to read quietly and she says "NO! I have to do my school work!".

I just don't see why this is a bad thing? Who says children shouldn't learn until they are 5 or 6? I know they are little and they should play but 15-30 min sitting still out of a 3yo's day? Really, what's wrong with that? I'm sure you are just happy she wants to learn :) Think of all those parents who have 6yos who don't want to sit down for 30 min to learn...I'd prefer the former!