Menu

The Mad Minute (Math)

MyLittleWonders

Has anyone used The Mad Minute for math facts? We use Miquon, which I absolutely love, but dh and I both believe strongly in having math facts memorized. I am considering doing something like The Mad Minute 2x a week for practice (I don't think I plan on actually timing them, at least not yet, though maybe to just have them track their progress ... not limit them to one minute, but see if they can beat their time as they get better or something like that). Any other ideas for helping kids learn their math facts? (We have flash cards, which we can use during dinner time for some fun review, but I'm also wanting something a bit more independent for them to do.) Thanks! (And if this sounds jumbled at all, just chalk it up to being up at 6am, and spending the afternoon with 11 kids running around my house for 3 1/2 hours! :tongue_smilie:)

Mad minute is why my son does NOT have his times tables memorized.

He was seriously traumatized by a 4th grade teacher with those blasted things, and now, his brain associates multiplication with "bad experience".

It's sad, actually, as he's quite gifted in math (among other things).

Maybe someday they'll come up with "therapy for kids traumatized by math minutes".

(I highly recommend Times Tales)

a

We are using factsfirst.com and like it. You can adjust the timer to as long or as short a time as you wish...or use it untimed. It can be done totally independentl;y, and it seems likew fun. HTH! Oh, it's not free...I don't know if you were looking for something free.

Nan

Ariel does Mathletics, which has a timed "race" in which the child answers as many math facts as s/he can in 1 minute. You can choose to either compete against a computer or other kids (if there are any in the level you choose at the time - usually there are). There are different levels in which the children practice differing levels of facts, level 1 is addition facts to 10, level 2 is addition and subtraction to 18, etc. She gets points for winning races (and completing lessons and tests in a different area) which she can spend to upgrade her avatar, like buying new clothes, backgrounds, and so forth. She's getting pretty good at it, and she likes the timed races (now she even asks me to occasionally time her while she's doing a worksheet so she can "race.") As an incidental bonus, she's picking up some geography too, since the computer displays a map with the other students' locations just before the race begins.

My older son is one of those whose conceptual ability is way past his math facts, yet my husband and I feel strongly about learning them. We struggle with this.

He's done mad minutes at school. At first they were tough but he has better and is proud of himself.

One of his favorites was a teacher who did it as a contest -- might be fun for a playdate or co-op? -- they had to stand and be quizzed, kind of like a spelling bee. The longer you lasted, the more tickets you got, and they were entered in a drawing for pencils and erasers.

At home, flashcards are pretty painful. Favorites (I have boys) include Star Wars math (starting at about age 6), Timez Attack (older), quizzing programs on Didj. My older son just told me he hates the Flashmaster but it "works."