Menu

Reasonable work for a 9th grader

Some threads on writing made me nervous.. Is this a reasonable amount of work?

Chalkdust Geometry- He does a section nearly every day. I think I read they could take two, but 90 percent of the time he gets everything done in one day.

Apologia Chemistry- We are averaging 2 weeks per module. He watches teaching Company videos, does the experiments and Microchem experiments and writes them up as well as taking notes as he reads, study questions and practice problems.

TOG- Year 3 He does the rhetoric questions. We discuss.

English- He is doing Analytical Grammar and has finished unit 1. I plan to reinforce and finish unit 2 by the end of the achool year and save the last unit for 10th grade. He is doing TOG literature..I stared out modifying it, but he is doing REALLY well so now is doing it as written. We did IEW C, so he mostly just wrote paragaphs last quarter and learned and wrote a 5 paragraph paper the last week. My plan is to have him write a 5 paragraph paper every week for the next 3 and then finish off with a month to work on a 6 to 8 page paper for this quarter.

SOS Spanish- going slowly with a B average

Introductory Logic- He loves this and has a solid A. We will do Intermediate next semester.

Some of you looked like you had them writing papers for history and English and science... Gulp. Is one major paper a week enough from now on for English with the exception of a 6-8 page research paper for one month (won't do other essays during that section) for a 9th grader??

What kind of writing should he be doing for 10th? 11? Like I said, some of you talked about writing for history..l I only ever did textbook work in high school for history.

Christine

He is smart.....I'm taking bets he is a math/science guy! We just bailed out of Chalkdust Geometry with 10th grade dd (2-3 days for each lesson, CD is a program change for her, and it isn't a good fit), and she is doing Biology. I wouldn't dream of doing chemistry in the 9th grade, hats off to both of you! Did you start with Secondary SOS Spanish because that is Spanish 1. If your ds is bogging down in it, it may be because you have SOS Spanish 1(which is really Spanish 2). I think you are doing plenty, and more writing that we did in 9th grade. We are doing a textbook for history, just answering questions, and taking the tests. Sometimes we use a history theme for a paper in composition if it fits the assignment.

HTH

Chalkdust Geometry

Apologia Chemistry

TOG- Year 3

English... Analytical Grammar... TOG literature..IEW C

SOS Spanish

Introductory Logic

Wow! Sounds like a full schedule and advanced level of work for 9th grade to me!

My plan is to have him write a 5 paragraph paper every week for the next 3 and then finish off with a month to work on a 6 to 8 page paper for this quarter. Is this a reasonable amount of work?

That would have been ambitious for our sons -- though, since your son is advanced, that may be right on track. Just for very general comparison with our average/reluctant writer and our struggling writer in 9th grade, we worked towards:

- weekly = 1 paragraph assignments from writing program, or 1 paragraph response to the lit.

- weekly / bi-weekly = timed essay practice from past SAT prompts

- monthly = 3-5 paragraph paper from lit./science/history

- quarterly = 3-6 page research paper from lit./science/history/other, 1 per quarter

I would image that IEW has given you a good foundation in writing, and TOG gives you plenty of ideas for writing assignments, literary essays, research papers, etc., so now you just go ahead and step out there and try some longer writing. Sounds like you're doing great! Don't forget to enjoy this last stage of the homeschooling journey with your family. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I guess I was just reading posts about people having their child write a page or two every day about science, a page or two about history, and an English paper every week. To be honest, I think getting a 5 paragraph essay done every week will be a stretch. He has written 2 so far, and they need some editing help. We could really use a week to write and a week to edit together every day. We have done one SAT prompt and he did much better than I expected. I plan to do the IEW High School Essay Intensive in January and I was wondering about The Elegant Essay. He is getting so much better about writing. On his last history test his essay was to compare Washington and Bolivar and he did pretty well, writing almost two pages. He just needed more specific examples.

He often spends a couple of hours on math. He truly hates Geometry and cannot wait to get back to Algebra. On the flip side, he is loving Chemistry and says it is his favorite science so far because of all the math. I told him that since he hates constructions so much architecture and engineering are probably out as professions!

Christine

I guess I was just reading posts about people having their child write a page or two every day about science, a page or two about history, and an English paper every week.

Well, that is certainly NOT our family, more's the pity. :( We have an average student and one with mild LDs. Both are boys, and honestly could care less about school. So, I do what I can re: writing, but that really is the subject they aren't just blasé about but truly dislike.

To be honest, I think getting a 5 paragraph essay done every week will be a stretch. He has written 2 so far, and they need some editing help. We could really use a week to write and a week to edit together every day.

You might try scheduling 2 writing sessions a day -- maybe 30-40 minutes for actual writing of the next 3-5 paragraph paper, and then at a separate time in the day, a 15-30 minute revising time of the 3-5 paragraph paper written the previous week. It's that revising that just kills me... sitting down and having to go over their papers with them, and talk them through changes and sit silently while they think is like fingernails on a blackboard to me for some reason!

We have done one SAT prompt and he did much better than I expected. I plan to do the IEW High School Essay Intensive in January and I was wondering about The Elegant Essay. He is getting so much better about writing. On his last history test his essay was to compare Washington and Bolivar and he did pretty well, writing almost two pages. He just needed more specific examples.

I kept buying writing programs, thinking THAT is what would make the boys write, but honestly, I think it is just get down and DO it -- write daily, do different types of writing (and work on different parts of the writing process -- i.e. brainstorming, keyword outline, rough draft, revising, etc.) during the week. I really think they "get" what needs to happen for writing (a "hook", an intro with a contention, specific supporting details/facts/examples, strong conclusion, etc.) -- they just need to PRACTICE it to polish it up and feel more comfortable doing it.

Haven't looked at the IEW or Elegant Essay, so they may very well do the trick for you.

I do want to put a plug in again for a WEEKLY timed essay practice from past SAT prompts (see all the way at the bottom of this webpage for a whole list of past prompts by date: http://www.onlinemathlearning.com/sat-test-prep.html). (I say weekly, which is what we shoot for, but realistically, we manage to do a timed essay about 24-28 weeks in the 36-week school year.)

Our average writer has gotten quite good over the past 2 years of doing this, and it has dramatically improved his papers as a whole. I am also stunned at how much DS with LDs has improved by doing this, too! Once we get one aspect down by practicing over a few weeks or months (such as: including a "hook", or including several specific examples, etc.), we pick another aspect of essay writing to work on and try to make sure we include it in our timed essays. I do think that the timed essays are less stressful on DSs, too: they are short (we first did 15 minute/1 long paragraph essays, and after 2 years are up to 25 minutes/3-4 paragraph essays); we do them all together (misery loves company -- LOL!); we critique them together (gentle, pointing out 1-2 good things, and maybe one thing to try to improve next time); and then they are DONE (they don't have to see that writing again).

Sigh... too bad investing in writing programs that sit on my shelf doesn't somehow work by osmosis at night and seep into their brains...

He often spends a couple of hours on math. He truly hates Geometry and cannot wait to get back to Algebra. On the flip side, he is loving Chemistry and says it is his favorite science so far because of all the math. I told him that since he hates constructions so much architecture and engineering are probably out as professions!

LOL! Well, at least you've narrowed down the field of future careers a little! :tongue_smilie: BEST of luck as you persevere through the writing! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

I'm with you about the writing posts! The one thing I thought was - Boy their kids must really be writers! I also wondered if I read the posts wrong - it seemed like some were doing some major writing! My ds is in Seton for English - every year they have had 6, 5 para. essay papers on literature books (spread through the entire year), and one 5-6 page research paper (one per year). Each of the literature books have a test (about 6 books/tests per year) these are essay tests and really take at least 6 pages of typed answers (and this is from my not so writing son!). I count the tests as part of what he has to write each year! Science the only writing are lab write ups. History - no writing; just read, study and take test.

Honestly, my son's head would burst if I gave him more! Some kids, though really take to writing and actually enjoy it. That, however, is not my ds!

Like I said, the posts that have had all that writing for dc - the children must be writers - so it was appropriate for them. But I wouldn't say that that amount of writing in the other posts was average at all. (my didn't some say their dc were writing novels! Even though my son is easy going and a good kid - really he would explode!)

Barb