Menu

When you wake up in a funk, what do you do. . . .

to snap out of it?

I have a lot of little - ok, maybe some not-so-little - things that are just wearing on me. I woke up in a blue funk, which I know is not hormonal.

I've already spent time reading Scripture, and am about to go exercise. Hoping that does the trick.

But what do YOU do?

I'm right in there with ya this morning...:tongue_smilie: I make sure a lot of lights are on, since gray skies make me sad. I light a nice-smelling candle, and clean a room! Music helps, too, and making sure I have some make up on. Go outside for a breath of fresh air if the weather's nice. Of course...coffee!! :D

Honestly? I do the same as every other day. Make a good cup of coffee, suck it up, and plow through as best I can knowing my emotions don't get to dictate reality. I know not very inspirational. But the truth is there are 10 other people in this home who need me to stay focused whether I'm in a funk or not. And I find that if I try cope with a funk instead of plow through, everyone else ends up in a funk and then we all get cranky. So I enjoy my coffee and fake it until I make it. Most of the time I make it sooner than I thought. If I haven't by lunch then we'll do something extra fun after lunch. Make playdoh or do something artsy or watch something educational and fun. Or go to the zoo.

You know, I kind of answered my own question while I was in the shower today. . . .

You know what actually helps me? Other than what Martha said, which is just go about my usual routine. . . . . .

I make a list of things I want to do, that I've been putting off. And then I do them, and check it off. For some reason, that makes me uber-happy. Strange, eh?

Honestly? I do the same as every other day. Make a good cup of coffee, suck it up, and plow through as best I can knowing my emotions don't get to dictate reality. I know not very inspirational. But the truth is there are 10 other people in this home who need me to stay focused whether I'm in a funk or not. And I find that if I try cope with a funk instead of plow through, everyone else ends up in a funk and then we all get cranky. So I enjoy my coffee and fake it until I make it.

You know what, Martha?

I may print this up and read it on my "funk" mornings. Such wise advice. Insert "sweet tea" for coffee, and you're right on, sister!

I see you've already found some things that help you.

Mine is really simple - I wake up each morning and pray, asking God to direct my day. I ask him to let me to welcome the interruptions instead of getting mad at them because they are often special ways to minister to others. I do ask Him to give me discernment to weed out those things that are just distractions with no merit.

--Fake it until I can make it, as another poster said

--Pray/praise God anyway

--Follow the day's schedule and/or get involved in a cleaning project

--Play my piano, hymns and worship choruses

The first three generally; IF (it's a BIG *if*) I get to the fourth, then I'm not responding well to the first three and the piano will definitely do the job!