Menu

Singapore teachers guide

trisharog

I need help understanding TG. I am using 5A but they all probably line up similarly. I am looking at page 40 in SE 5A. The last column says "Standards" . The first box says NS 2.1. The next box says AG 1.3. The following box says MR3.2 and AF 1.3. I cant find any sort of key that explains those acronyms.

Do most of you follow the lesson plans ? It seems to me (as a newbie) that there is not enough work when you spread it out over the allotted days.

I saw on another thread that someone found problems that are similar to the workbook. Do any of you use those in addition to the workbook? Would they be similar to the EP books you can buy or are those a different type of problem?

What about tests? I did not buy the assessments. I was going to use the review at the end of the chapter. Am I missing out buy not buying the assessments? I want to get the most I can out of this program.

Thank you !

Trisha:confused:

I need help understanding TG. I am using 5A but they all probably line up similarly. I am looking at page 40 in SE 5A. The last column says "Standards" . The first box says NS 2.1. The next box says AG 1.3. The following box says MR3.2 and AF 1.3. I cant find any sort of key that explains those acronyms.

Do most of you follow the lesson plans ? It seems to me (as a newbie) that there is not enough work when you spread it out over the allotted days.

I saw on another thread that someone found problems that are similar to the workbook. Do any of you use those in addition to the workbook? Would they be similar to the EP books you can buy or are those a different type of problem?

What about tests? I did not buy the assessments. I was going to use the review at the end of the chapter. Am I missing out buy not buying the assessments? I want to get the most I can out of this program.

Thank you !

Trisha:confused:

Those are codes for the California state standards - NS is Number Sense, MR is Mathematical Reasoning, AF is Algebra and Functions.

The lesson plans in the TG are layed out for teaching a classroom so it does go a little slow. I just teach them the topic and do some practice problems from the TG and make sure they understand the main points of the lesson spelled out in the margins of the lesson and then go onto the Workbook. I like the HIG's better but we are on a track that makes it impossible for us to use them - the HIGs for 4B and up won't be available until long after we are done (we are starting 6A in 2 weeks). The Workbooks and TG for 6B weren't even available until last week.

The state standards are spelled out in the front and very back pages of the book.

We use Challenging Word Problems as extra work, plus the problem solving and mental math stuff included in the appendix of the TG. We just use the review at the end of each unit as a test since the reviews are cumulative. If they seem to be missing a lot we go back and redo those topics.