Menu

Scholarships for someone like ds?

Chris in VA

Not even sure where to begin.

We make too much $ to be considered need based.

He only has a 2.9 and it's not going up.

SAT was mediocre.

Former substance abuser--I did find TExas Tech gives a small scholarship, but it's out of state.

ANY ideas?

No veterans, ethnic/religious, or ancestral possibilities. Not employed anywhere that gives scholarships. Clergy family but that doesn't lead anywhere. Tried several search engines, nothing comes up.

Chris-

I used a book from this organization years ago...I think it's changed a lot. Then it was called The Greater Richmond Area Scholarship Program and they put out a guide with hundreds of scholarships. Now it has a different name but I think it's the same program. I'm not sure if they still have the guide but I did find this list of links to different scholarships on their site. http://www.grasp4virginia.com/?page=students&sub=scholarships-and-financial-aid

They also had a link that led to this Virginia based site where you can search for scholarships based on interest. http://www.virginiamentor.org/Finaid/Scholarship_Search/

When I was in high school I hated it...and was a C student. The local paper gave a $500 scholarship to a C student to encourage them to attend college (this was back when $500 covered a year at a cc), one per school. Need I add I got it? Years later I was a full-scholarship for Northwestern (doctoral program in my major).

Chris,

We're also too *wealthy*:banghead: for need-based educational help. My youngest, 19yodd, is learning disabled. She's insulin-dependent diabetic, has Bipolar Disorder and has some definite learning challenges with studying and test-taking. We didn't even bother putting her through SAT or ACT because we knew she wouldn't have done well. Instead, she got a part-time job and began attending community college as a full-time student. She's in the middle of her second year and so far with her job she's been able to pay cash up front for all her tuition and books. In other words she owes nothing, to date. When she begins her third year of college she'll be transferring to a 4-yr university and at that time she may need to take out a small student loan to cover the added expense of higher univ tuition but she'll only need extra money for what her job won't cover.

A small student loan for the last 2 years of college is much easier to handle that a large student loan for 4 years at univ. It's doable. Your child may need to work part-time and spend 2 years at CC but it is doable.

FWIW--- Both my girls work part-time as full-time college students. Oldest dd has completed 2 years at the small private school she attends and is now in her third year. She's worked on campus since she began school 2 1/2 years ago. She will be graduating in May of 2011 only owing a very small student loan of about $15,000., which is a drop in the bucket by today's standards of student loans.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that all the public Va. universities, incl UVA, have to accept any student who meets certain requirments (grade levels, I assume), and earns an associates degree, in a cc. Many, many "B", "C" or "D" students make it, and find their niche, handling cc, like grades 13 and 14, maybe. Not sure what all the rules are. Also, every community seems to have a service groups, electric co-ops, etc. that award some amounts every year, to kids in their community. The public school hands out one form and puts a kid's name in several hats, in January. Maybe your local ps guidance counselor will share from his file of the many ops available. Fastweb sends e-mail every day for an array of scholarships, with some very minor requirements....just being related to a worker in some field, or some such. Not cheating but if he writes the essay that wins, that is that.

Good, good luck,

LBS