Menu

Perry/Hornblower Question. If you had mild swine, shoud you consider

the vaccine this season?

My son tested positive for it with a nasal swab at the college health clinic, so I don't know how accurate etc. He seems to be ok and has been fever -free for 48 hours. I hope he is recovered. If he is, his flu was mild...I assume. It this flu mutates and is stronger by Jan/feb say, would it be in his best interests to get the vax?

He is planning next semester abroad in southern Europe, and travel from Greece to UK through mid- summer.

What do you think? At this point I am not afraid of the vax at all. I would be more at ease at this point, given he lives in close quarters with other students, if he had the vax, But won't do it if he's immune.

Thoughts?

There's a long thread about this on FT.

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126791

Take a read through it all - it raises some interesting issues.

I'm unsure about this.

On one hand, if the virus drifts then the vax will be no good b/e the vax is made to this virus. Too much drift and it will drift from the vax.

OTOH, there are some reports that one infection (and in some studies, one vax dose) are not enough for good antibodies.

I believe the current CDC line is that if you had RT-PCR confirmed novel H1N1 you can choose to skip the vax OR take it; without RT-PCR you should take it.

"Therefore, if you were ill but do not know if you had 2009 H1N1 infection, you should get vaccinated, if your doctor recommends it. So, most people recommended for 2009 H1N1 vaccination should be vaccinated with the 2009 H1N1 vaccine regardless of whether they had a flu-like illness earlier in the year. If you have had 2009 H1N1 flu, as confirmed by an RT-PCR test, you should have some immunity against 2009 H1N1 flu and can choose not to get the 2009 H1N1 vaccine. However, vaccination of a person with some existing immunity to the 2009 H1N1 virus will not be harmful. For more information on flu tests, see Influenza Diagnostic Testing During the 2009-2010 Flu Season."

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/public/vaccination_qa_pub.htm

Wow. Living with a immune compromised (and metabolic neuromuscular condition to boot) child here. He doesn't mount an immune response to vaxes. We vax ourselves and isolate him. This is entirely crappy news.

Hugs to you. Our issues are not nearly as dramatic and concerning as yours and I've had my tail in a twizzle over this. Blessings as you head through this flu season.