Menu

3rd grade chemistry...what do you use?

dangermom

I'm thinking about 3rd grade and chemistry! WTM recommends Adventures with Atoms and Molecules--what does the Mind think of this book? Are there other books like this that some people like?

I'd much prefer to get a book and use the library for extras; I'm not particularly interested in buying a science curriculum right now, but feel free to tell me what you liked. I am willing to have some fun with experiments, so please tell me about stuff like that.

We used the books; I bought the whole set, and then we would skip experiments that didn't appeal or for which we couldn't get the supplies.

What worked well for my ds was to have a lab book already printed out (like a workbook), so I made template pages with boxes to fill in for Objective, Materials, etc. and pages for the definitions, and had them bound together in one of those plastic comb bindings.

I'm currently using RS4K for Physics this year, but I was interested in RS4K Chemistry, I might look at that for my younger ones when they get to this point.

Kate

I recently bought Christian Kids Explore Chemistry,and it looks fun. I haven't done it yet, but I've used Christian Kids Explore Biology last year and we loved it. It was full of easy experiments with worksheets in the curriculum. I didn't have my dc do the worksheets, but I used them to ask them questions about the lesson. They also had beautiful coloring pages in the book. I don't think the chemistry has coloring pages, but It looks laid out just like the Biology book. Also, this is a Christian curriculum so if you're looking for secular material this is not the one. HTH!

Actually we are using it now in 4th, but I think it is very age appropriate for 3rd. I had a hard time finding something that wasn't just too abstract for elementary. So far LLB is great. Lots of hands on. I have added library books and Bill Nye videos.

We used Adventures with Atoms and Molecules as described in TWTM. It was very easy to implement and didn't require a lot of hard to find items. Most of the items were in my pantry or easily obtained at the grocery store. We enjoyed it and learned a lot. A side benefit is how cheap it is. :)