Menu

Spanish programs

This year will be our second year with Latin and my oldest is showing some interest in Spanish. Soooo.. with that said what Spanish programs are there that are offered for homeschoolers that are worth getting? I would like a program that has more than one level, and Spanish for Children seens to have only one level. Not that I don't mind it really but what do you use after you finish that?

I don't mind a Christian program as long as its effective. My daughters are doing well with the LC program from Memoria. So I am looking for a program that follows a similar structure.

I need something that uses a DVD. I never took a second language going through school so I wouldn't have the first clue about Spanish other then what I learn from Dora the Explorer when I watch it with my 3yr old. LOL.:lol: So I need a DVD program so my visual daughter sees it, and my auditory daughter hears it.

Oh yes, money is tight so something like Rosetta Stone is out of the question right now.

So You Really Want to Learn Spanish (Galore Park) is very good, IMHO. It is comprehensive, text book based, with an audio CD (that you DO need if you don't speak it well). It does not have a DVD but does have an audio CD. It works very well with my 12 yo. I will plan for my 10 yo to begin it when he is 11 (7th grade).

I also love Rosetta Stone, and you might be able to pick it up used for not toooo much $$.

I also love Rosetta Stone, and you might be able to pick it up used for not toooo much $$.

Just as an FYI, Rosetta Stone products aren't supposed to be resold; it's how their license agreement for the software works. You may have problems loading and using a used copy.

I'm planning on using Galore Park's So You Want to Learn Spanish with my kids, starting in 2 years for my oldest. However, I may go check out the local college bookstore before I purchase that because I did take 4 years of Spanish so I feel comfortable teaching it without an audio component.

I would not choose Rosetta Stone. I was talking to a rep at our state's homeschool convention and was told that 4 years of Rosetta Stone is only equivalent to 3 years of Spanish instruction. I'd rather have a more rigorous program.