Menu

Hardwood floor decisions, decisions.....

It has long been a dream of mine to have hardwood floors and the time has finally come. The only thing is, it's so hard to make such lasting decisions. I'm 48 and will probably won't be able to redo again, so I want them to last and I want them to look wonderful! LOL! I want to walk in and gasp at the beauty (that's what I imagine, anyway).

We are replacing 22 year old carpet (I know... ) in the living room, dining room, family room and small back hallway. We'll be deciding about bedrooms later.

Due to a lack of natural light in the family room, I'm thinking we want a light color. Cabinets are natural oak (kind of golden), kitchen and front hall will be a stone looking porcelain tile.

We have narrowed it down to these 3 choices (all are engineered, glueless click-lock type).

1. Mullican Austin Springs Hickory natural (hickory seems to be quite hard for dogs, etc). This looks fairly uniform with some variation from what I can tell on sample boards, etc. I can't find any picture of an actual Austin Springs floor and their Ridgecrest line that does have a picture is supposed to be a bit different. The color is a lot like the tones in my cabinets. Our installer thought this one was the best quality as far as construction.

Sample board pic: http://www.umatillaflooring.net/hickory-natural.html

2. Shaw Louisville Hickory Honey Spice - this is made in China, the wear layer is thinner, but the finish claims a lifetime warranty. The edges have a much larger bevel between planks both vertically and horizontally (not sure how dirt will do with this). The room scene picture looks amazing. Price is $.80 less, but China??? The room scene is a pdf and I couldn't figure out how to include it.

3. Mirage Red Oak Natural - didn't really want more oak in the house, but I do like it and I know it is "safe" as far as how it will look. Mirage has been rated number one for years and has a beautiful semi-gloss finish. It is $.60 MORE than the Mullican.

Any thoughts on wood, color, bevels, brand.... anything????? I really really appreciate ANY thoughts!

I don't have much for advice other than I LOVE my hardwood floor in my 100 year old house. In our house before we had 9 small children with wall to wall carpeting and I visioned a floor that all I had to do was sweep or mop. I wanted practicality sooooooooo badly. Well, we bought a house in the country with 6 bedrooms, dining, kitchen, laundry and absolutely 0 carpeting. No more stains, vacuuming, nothing. I love it. Since we moved here we have had 3 more children and I am still loving my extremely worn out, well used wood floors. It's fine with me because we still have many children to put through this house.

We were looking at our sample plank that Mullican mailed us. It is a plywood core and we noticed some splintering (just a little) on the edges. We were wondering how tight the locking system was so tried a little water on it the crack. The plywood core was wet inside.

Shaw has an "enviro core" made of recycled wood, etc (not particle board though). Tried the same test and it was not as wet. Tried putting water directly on it and it beads off vs being absorbed by the other with the plywood core.

Can you tell that I am obsessing over this? LOL!

Ours looks something like this but maybe a little lighter:

GunstockStrip_Flat.tif&tmp=xbar-activethumb182&autocrop=1&format=png

I have no idea what kind of floor ours is, as I know nothing about hardwood or engineered hardwood floors, and this floor was already in the house we bought (kitchen & dining rooms). I do know that there are some places near the edges of the dining room where there are gaps between some of the sections. I'd assume that's an installation problem? Also, there are some areas where I *think* the grain pattern is worn away a little, but it's hard to tell if it is, or if my eyes are fooling me, or if it is intentionally made to look that way. We might have one of the cheap ones, but even with the worn areas it still looks very nice. You wouldn't be able to see those areas unless you were really looking for them. I spend the majority of my day in these two rooms, so I've noticed them. Dh never saw any until I pointed one out.

I don't want to see all the little flaws, scratches, marks that don't come off, etc after we've spent this much on floors. That comment would make me lean towards the Mirage with the best finish. UGH!

More comments are really helpful! This is making me think about all the aspects.

I looked at mine again, and I think the finish is wearing off, making those spots look lighter, but the wood grain is still visible. So it's not a printed grain wearing off. I don't know how old it is, but the house is about 18 yrs old, and the previous owners redid the kitchen when they added the dining room to the house. So the floor is somewhere between 4-18 yrs old.

It has long been a dream of mine to have hardwood floors and the time has finally come. The only thing is, it's so hard to make such lasting decisions. I'm 48 and will probably won't be able to redo again, so I want them to last and I want them to look wonderful! LOL! I want to walk in and gasp at the beauty (that's what I imagine, anyway).

We are replacing 22 year old carpet (I know... ) in the living room, dining room, family room and small back hallway. We'll be deciding about bedrooms later.

Due to a lack of natural light in the family room, I'm thinking we want a light color. Cabinets are natural oak (kind of golden), kitchen and front hall will be a stone looking porcelain tile.

We have narrowed it down to these 3 choices (all are engineered, glueless click-lock type).

1. Mullican Austin Springs Hickory natural (hickory seems to be quite hard for dogs, etc). This looks fairly uniform with some variation from what I can tell on sample boards, etc. I can't find any picture of an actual Austin Springs floor and their Ridgecrest line that does have a picture is supposed to be a bit different. The color is a lot like the tones in my cabinets. Our installer thought this one was the best quality as far as construction.

Sample board pic: http://www.umatillaflooring.net/hickory-natural.html

2. Shaw Louisville Hickory Honey Spice - this is made in China, the wear layer is thinner, but the finish claims a lifetime warranty. The edges have a much larger bevel between planks both vertically and horizontally (not sure how dirt will do with this). The room scene picture looks amazing. Price is $.80 less, but China??? The room scene is a pdf and I couldn't figure out how to include it.

3. Mirage Red Oak Natural - didn't really want more oak in the house, but I do like it and I know it is "safe" as far as how it will look. Mirage has been rated number one for years and has a beautiful semi-gloss finish. It is $.60 MORE than the Mullican.

Any thoughts on wood, color, bevels, brand.... anything????? I really really appreciate ANY thoughts!

We started putting unfinished oak in our home about 14 or so yrs ago. My husband laid it and then we put a finish on it. I have never regretted our choice. It was much less expensive than the manufactured floors and will be down until the house caves in.LOL If it gets a scratch you can sand lightly and put coat of finish on it. I have never done this. I have always felt that some of these things just give character and at times our house has a lot of character. :lol:

We have had to refinish it this summer and that was a job but I love my floors.

The one thing I can say about the manufactured is I would major stay away from any that are made in China. I have had some pretty bad experiences with china produced items as far as chemicals.

I hope you enjoy your floors once you make the choice and get them in.

You mentioned dogs....do you have dogs? If so, I would talk to an expert about which is best, bevels or no, for the claws. I wonder if the bevels hide more flaws or if a smooth surface would get less scratches due to less edges to 'catch' them.

If you have samples of each I would take a screw and try to scratch them all, with all my might, going over and over the same spot. Try to do it the same each time, and count each pass, to see which is the hardest.

You mentioned dogs....do you have dogs? If so, I would talk to an expert about which is best, bevels or no, for the claws. I wonder if the bevels hide more flaws or if a smooth surface would get less scratches due to less edges to 'catch' them.

If you have samples of each I would take a screw and try to scratch them all, with all my might, going over and over the same spot. Try to do it the same each time, and count each pass, to see which is the hardest.

:iagree:I know when we first started looking at hardwood and considered the manufactured when I mentioned that our oldest was in a power chair non of the people we talked to could give us any kind of encouragement that it would hold up to this kind of use.

I cant find what mine actually looks like but it is from Mohawk and the planks are all slightly different in color and it looks distressed. We have 2 dogs who are really hard on things and it looks amazing after 2 years. We also had the cats knock over a glass table that broke on the floor and put a small dent in the floor. If you get down on your hands and knees and look really closely you can see it. This floor is really forgiving. My color is lighter, more like a hickory color:

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/product-gallery/gallery-hardwood.aspx