Menu

Latin progression for 2nd grader?

Jayne J

I am looking into latin programs for my ds6 for next year (when he will be seven). I really like the look of Lively Latin, but it is recommended for grades 3-6. So, could we just slow it down do you think? Or would I be better off doing something else for 2nd grade and moving into LL in third? And if so, what should I use for 2nd? I am waffling between Prima Latina and Latina Christiana, but have no solid preference for anything.

(Ds is on target for his reading, and if we continue as we are now, I feel he will be more than fluent enough to begin latin and leave off phonics, so that won't factor into my choices. He is "on-grade" or slightly above in everything, so he'll need something suited to his grade level or just slightly above. I add this only because kids are sooo different and it helps to know where they are at when making recs. :001_smile:)

Thanks!

Oh, also, for those who have used LL, what do you plan to use after LL2? How long did/will it take to move through both? Just looking at the big picture here...

I tried Prima Latina at the beginning of the year with both my 2nd and 5th graders. The 5th could handle it but my 2nd grader was truly lost - I think he didn't understand the whole idea of a different language. I was disappointed in the quality of the audio cd's and decided to try Latin for Children A for my 5th grader and Songschool Latin for my 2nd. These are going very well. The SSL is just a basic primer with the alphabet and vocab/latin phrases but I feel it's a reasonably good intro and on my 7 year olds level. We like the chants and also enjoy the weekly DvD lessons (I've heard that others didn't like them as well - seems to be a personal preference thing). We've been very happy with LfC and I plan to have my middle son start it next year while my oldest moves on to LfC B. YMMV. :)

Well it depends on what you want. I started my older daughters with Prima Latina last year and they were 5th and 3rd graders. It seemed to work really well with them at this age level. I think they got more out of the program then if I had my third daughter using it at the time ( she was K last year). I suggest getting the DVD's that go with the program if you want to use the Latina Christiana series. I could of never of done a Latin program without them.

Last year I used Song School Latin for fun but this year I am going to go over the program one more time and have my daughter use the workbook now that she is older.

My progression for my 6yr old will be:

Song School Latin(1st grade)

Prima Latina (2nd grade)

Latina Christiana (3rd)

First Form Latin for 4th and so on

My older daughters started with Prima Christiana and are now doing Latina Christiana 1 and once we are finished with this we will go ahead with First Form Latin.

Like I said the LC programs are very dry without the DVD's. Of course you can do the program without them but its not as enjoyable.

I have let my 6yr old sit in with her older sisters just because she wants to and she is picking things up with Latin that way too.

Thank you all for your replies! I hope to begin Henle I in fifth grade, using the LCC Latin timeline, but really like the look of Lively Latin, instead of the Latina Christiana that Mr. Campbell recommends. So, I need to find a program or programs for 2nd through 4th that gets him ready to tackle Henle.

I'm going to check out Song School Latin. Maybe SSL, then two years of LL? Sigh. This would all be so much easier if I'd had a decent education myself...

I wanted to chime in that we began Lively Latin in 2nd grade (the second half) and it has been great. We love it and are now in LL2 with my 4th grader. He and I both love it and I plan to start my younger son in 2nd as well. He wanted to start Latin this year (1st) so we have been dabbling with Prima Latina (I already had it), but I don't like it very much and will drop it as soon as he loses interest, if he does.

As for what next, I haven't decided for sure. It will either be Henle or the Galore park program. (I can't remember the name right now!)

I am actually using Lively Latin and Latina Christiana simultaneously and find it to be a really good mix. My ds is currently in 4th grade, and we started with Prima Latina (by itself) in second grade. We will finish both LL and LC II by the end of this school year and will dive into Henle next fall. My son enjoys the LL but finds the LC II a bit dull (read: really hard work :tongue_smilie:). I don't want to drop the LC, however, because I think that without it he wouldn't be getting a good enough grasp on the grammar to be using it appropriately in translation work. HTH

ElaineJ