Menu

Suggestions for CHOW. SL? HOD?

Medieval Mom

Can anyone suggest a guide or program which uses CHOW in one year? I'm looking for a guide/program which would have corresponding geography, discussion questions, activities, etc. So far, I have found SL 1+2 and HOD's Preparing Hearts for His Glory. Calvert also offers a guide, but many on this board have deemed it worthless. Any other suggestions out there?

If you have used SL 1+2 or HOD's Preparing, could you please comment on how well you liked it? Thanks!

Yes, I'm gathering info for next year already.:blush:

Thank you!

HOD Preparing is written more for 3rd or 4th graders, and it encompasses the whole curriculum and not just history.

We did use Sonlight Core 1 last Spring, and we liked it. One of my friends is using Core 1+2 with kids, and they like it too! But it is going to move pretty fast, and a lot of people use it a grade or two above the core level (2nd or above with Core 1+2). I do think all the extras in the SL core are well worth using with CHOW.

Best wishes!

HOD Preparing is written more for 3rd or 4th graders, and it encompasses the whole curriculum and not just history.

We did use Sonlight Core 1 last Spring, and we liked it. One of my friends is using Core 1+2 with kids, and they like it too! But it is going to move pretty fast, and a lot of people use it a grade or two above the core level (2nd or above with Core 1+2). I do think all the extras in the SL core are well worth using with CHOW.

Best wishes!

Thank you!

Fast is okay for us (2nd gr. next year), since we plan on beginning a more in depth study of history beginning with ancients in 3rd. I'm glad to hear the good review of SL 1+2.

:)

We're using CHOW this year with HOD's Preparing Hearts. In the past, we have used Sonlight Cores 1 and 2 (not the combined core). I love HOD and would recommend it if your child were slightly older. I'm using Preparing with a 5th grader (with the extension package) and it is a very full program. For a 2nd grader, I'd recommend SL Core 1+2 instead. We loved all the books in Cores 1 and 2. I think you will really enjoy Core 1+2. SL doesn't really include projects other than mapping and a timeline. HOD has weekly history projects.

Donna Young has a section on her website that coordinates various books with CHOW.

http://donnayoung.org/history/chotw-cw.htm

Edited by Donna T.

• 4 weeks later...
We're using CHOW this year with HOD's Preparing Hearts. In the past, we have used Sonlight Cores 1 and 2 (not the combined core). I love HOD and would recommend it if your child were slightly older. I'm using Preparing with a 5th grader (with the extension package) and it is a very full program. For a 2nd grader, I'd recommend SL Core 1+2 instead. We loved all the books in Cores 1 and 2. I think you will really enjoy Core 1+2. SL doesn't really include projects other than mapping and a timeline. HOD has weekly history projects.

Donna Young has a section on her website that coordinates various books with CHOW.

http://donnayoung.org/history/chotw-cw.htm

Ah! This website is wonderful. Thank you! :)