Menu

What science curriculum fits this description?

HappyGrace

I'd like something for next yr to use with both dd 5th grade AND ds 2nd grade. But we don't want something that is the SAME topic all year round! Would love to have living books but not necessary, both dc want to do kind of meaty hands-on stuff, but it has to be absolutely EASY or I won't get to it (sorry, that's the reality!) Christian emphasis would be great but secular is ok too. I really need it to be pick-it-up-and-go because we have a lot of other things on our plate school-wise.

I was looking at REAL science, but it's the same science field all year, and the hands-on looks daunting. We have done Noeo before and it was just ok. I have Considering God's Creation, but that looks a little lame (we like to read.) I have Beautiful Feet History of Science but that seems hard for the 2nd grader. What about God's Design? That looks too hard/boring for the 2nd grader, maybe? HELP?!

How about Sonlight? They use a variety of books and different topics. You sound like me ... if I didn't have science all laid out for me, I'd never do it. With Sonlight you buy the kit to do all the experiments, and you even get a DVD so that if you don't get to the experiments or your experiments don't work (!) then you can watch what should have happened.

You mentioned living books - Sonlight does use biographies - we have just read one about Rachel Carson. And they make extensive use of Usborne books which are SO beautiful and the newer ones are interlinked with websites so that after learning for instance about dolphins, you go to the Usborne website and click on the link to see dolphins. My dd 9 absolutely loves this.

Sonlight is designed so that you can use it with kids of different ages - my older 3 are 5 years apart and they do cores 3, 4 and 5 together. Core 3 has some plants, some animals ... can't remember the rest. Core 4 has electricity and magnetism plus more. Go to http://www.sonlight.com and request a catalog or look online.

Meryl

We are using Sonlight and it seems to fit what you are looking for. You could also look at science excursions, If I had not already bought SL for this year I would consider it. It covers a bit of everything, l not just 1 topic all year. It does not use livingbooks but I think those would be easy to add in on a topic by topic basis.

I was going to mention Sonlight also. It's the only science curriculum I've been able to do consistently. We like the variety of topics, it keeps us interested. And I actually do the experiments since most of the items are already together in the kit. (There are usually a few things not included each week but they are household items I never have a problem finding already in my house and they let you know a week ahead what you need to gather for the following week).

Anyway, I'm not sure I want to use SL Science 3 next year so I just spent some time looking at Real Science Odyssey also. It looks like a great program but I know I won't gather all those supplies and that we'll get bored with the same thing all year. That has been my program with Noeo- we tried Physics I this year. So I figure it's best to stick with what gets done- no matter how cool Real Science looks, I don't think it will get done here. So I'll probably just drop the parts of science 3 that I don't want and add something else, but the frame is still there for me for most of it.

Sorry for working out my own issue in my response to your question. Science has been like a monkey on my back lately. We have enjoyed SL science here and it meets your criteria!

I highly recommend Christian Kids Explore series. The Biology and Earth and Space cover one MAIN topic (Bio or Earth Science) but several sub-topics. For example, you'll cover human body, plants, animals, sea creatures, birds, etc. in Biology. In E&S you will cover landforms, astronomy, volcanoes, rocks and minerals, etc. VERY pick up and go, hands-on but EASY (read: easy for Mom!) activities, bite-size lessons and perfect for your ages. Put out by Bright Ideas Press. I recommend it over God's Design for the variety in topics. God's Design spends more time covering each sub-topic (an entire book on Plants for example). HTH

Thanks so far! I had forgotten about SL! We actually did do the K sci, and it did get done. (But I only had one child and it was K!) I know they have revamped it since then. That might work! I will check it out. Also, I already have about 4 of the SL experiment DVDs-they like to watch those! Not quite as fun as doing them though.

I know I checked out Christian Kids Explore earlier in the summer, and was thisclose to purchasing, but then I didn't for some reason, but I can't remember why! I will look at it again.

Edited by HappyGrace

SL would be a good option. We are using year 4 and adding the Apologia Swimming Creatures in the mix. That way we don't get bored with one subject doing just Apologia and we get to add in some animal study. Perfect fit for my 5th grade dd who could never get enough science. Also the DVD's that go along with SL are wonderful.

Hope that helps,

Lora in NC