Menu

Do you comb curly hair?

I was born with CURLY hair -- a full head of thick, curly hair. (and my oldest daughter inherited the same -- at the present time, her hair is down to her waist :001_smile:)

I have found the more you handle it, the frizzier it gets. LESS is more...

I do not use a traditional comb...I have a plastic pick with wide teeth that are alternating length. I use it in the shower to distribute conditioner, then I rinse it and use it when I get out to distribute curl cream.

I would not recommend a blow dryer unless you use a diffuser, and then I would only use it occasionally.

I only use salon products designed for curly hair and/or moisturizing. (OTC products are NOT your friend...BTDT multiple times.)

I've known people who grew up in a dry climate, and were shocked to find that they had curly hair the first time they visited a humid location.

The difference between stepping off a long flight on an airplane (very dry hair) and into a steamy climate can be hilariously dramatic.

I am glad my dd has information and product for her inherited curls. She gets complimented every day on her hair.

I actually find it irritating that people seem to think it's perfectly okay to touch and talk about curls. Lots of strangers seem to think it's also fine to touch, at least children's hair! I don't think everyone wants to be evaluated on a daily basis, and also the idea that it's open season is a bit...well, strange.

I like Giovanni Direct conditioner. It's a leave in, but very nice and light. It seems to be somewhat harder to find in recent years. I've also had good success with Jason's apricot conditioner as a rinse out; I let it soak in the shower for a couple minutes then finger comb before rinsing out and it REALLY detangles and restores curls, or so it seems to me.

The Denman is the best! The Tightly curly website highly recommends the Denman. I love mine.

My daughters have curly hair of various thickness, and we don't comb. We brush. :001_huh: It seems to go against most advice, but we use a particular brush -- the Denman classic. I only brush when the hair is wet (we use a lot of detangling spray here). There are other, similar looking brushes on the market, but nothing beats the Denman. I even get panicky when the girls run off with it and it goes missing.

We have used these products, as well, but it's been a while since I ran out. Right now, I am using this product after I brush out tangles for curl definition (it's not something I apply every day, though), and then I leave the hair alone! No touching or messing with it at all, other than to put a clip or barrette in the front. :001_smile:

This is what my curly-haired son keeps wanting to do, and I keep objecting. He's getting better at keeping it from matting. I think it will be even better (less likely to mat) when it is longer. It is almost long enough to tie back now. When my children were in public school, I sent notes with them on picture day saying not to touch their hair or it would turn into a horrible frizz LOL. I guess I should listen to myself. Anyway, this was a helpful thread.

My son wishes to contribute this advice:

If you don't want it to frizz after you wash it, wash it right before gymnastics practice and go to practice with it wet. If it dries while you are doing gym, it doesn't frizz.

-Nan

My son wishes to contribute this advice:

If you don't want it to frizz after you wash it, wash it right before gymnastics practice and go to practice with it wet. If it dries while you are doing gym, it doesn't frizz.

-Nan

Wow, all that movement would give me a head of frizz. Any movement before my hair is dry, such as wind, touching or me doing housework creates frizz. The more still I am when my hair is drying the more defined and soft the curls turn out.

My daughters are black (I am white. They are adopted), and I take them to have their hair braided by a very dear friend every other week. I tried to do their hair when they were little, but I got tired of very kind little old black ladies stopping me out in public and giving me hair advice. My girls must have looked awful.

:lol::lol::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Whew, that one cracked me up. I used to work in a group foster home and I had similar experiences trying to take care of my girls' hair.

I have large curls but my hair is fine, not coarse (that does make a difference). I brush daily, but only right before my shower and only because I read that daily brushing stimulates the scalp and promotes thicker hair growth. I use conditioner instead of shampoo most days, and I only detangle and arrange with my fingers post shower. I never heard of drying with a tshirt, but I will be trying it today.

I actually find it irritating that people seem to think it's perfectly okay to touch and talk about curls. Lots of strangers seem to think it's also fine to touch, at least children's hair! I don't think everyone wants to be evaluated on a daily basis, and also the idea that it's open season is a bit...well, strange.

:iagree: Ds5 has extremely curly, beautiful hair. People always want to touch it. I don't mind when it is someone we know, but random strangers need to keep their hands off my kid. And it annoys him no matter who it is (even me, unfortunately :tongue_smilie:).

Edited by Truscifi
I can't type

:iagree: Ds5 has extremely curly, beautiful hair. People always want to touch it. I don't mind when it is someone we know, but random strangers need to keep their hands off my kid. And it annoys him no matter who it is (even me, unfortunately :tongue_smilie:).

I hate random strangers touching me. My hair, my pregnant belly, or my new silk skirt. Don't touch my children, and especially not my infants.

A stranger can touch me if I have a poisonous creature or something with a stinger crawling on me.

I have more than once had to shoo women off from touching my daughter's curly hair when she was little.

I'm reading Curly Girl w/ mixed results. Holy cow what a mess I'm in!

I don't comb my daughter's hair. We only shampoo it when it needs to be cleaned. She does condition it twice a week, but no shampoo unless it is greasy. She shampoos her hair about once every 2 1/2 weeks. I know it sounds gross, but she has no more tangles. She is clean and she has great hair now.