Menu

food allergies

He's wheat allergic and not having issues with gluten? If so, I agree that spelt is terrific. It's not exactly the same but does have enough gluten to be ok. My nephews will eat it here and never seem to notice. We use Berlin Bakery.

There are lots of gluten free recipes online and in books and all those will, out of necessity, be wheat free. Wheat is a listed allergen ingredient too so label reading is easier than it is for some.

I have gluten free (wheat free) recipes or adaptations on my blog.

Here is my cornbread recipe: http://premeditatedleftovers.blogspot.com/2009/05/gluten-free-corn-bread-recipe.html

I have recipes for muffins and pancakes as well.

At the bottom of my sidebar is a list of links to blogs that have gluten free recipes.

Here is the gluten free all-purpose flour mix that I use for making muffins and cookies: http://premeditatedleftovers.blogspot.com/2009/07/gluten-free-all-purpose-flour.html

Gluten free cake flour: http://premeditatedleftovers.blogspot.com/2009/06/gluten-free-cake-flour.html

The authors of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day have recently come out with Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day that includes a section on making gluten free bread.

It seems overwhelming at first, but you and your family will quickly adapt to the changes. Feel free to email me or PM me if you need help adapting some of your old favorite recipes to make tham wheat free.

My daughter has a physical allergy to wheat and spelt gives her the same reaction. I would be very careful about spelt.

Just wanted to say good luck and it will be OK. It's a hard adjustment, but now I don't even realize we are wheat free unless we have to go somewhere for a visit.

Also, there are wheat free baking mixes out there you can use to make certain things, but over time we ended up just moving away from muffins and fancy breads, etc. You'd be surprised how easy it is to have potatoes instead of rolls for dinner, KWIM? And who needs all those cookies anyway? (Although if you really have a cookie craving I recommend the Betty Crocker Gluten Free mix).

I tried every which way to make Grace some bread and I gave up and ended up buying it. They have some frozen ones that are really good. We buy her a bunch of loaves and keep them frozen until we need them. We also buy frozen pizza crust and make her an individual pizza when we are having that at home.

The things we miss: Papa John's, Olive Garden, and Panera. Everything else has it's own alternative mix or whatever you need. Just know your grocery bill is about to go up if you get too happy with the mixes instead of switching to potatoes, LOL.

Also, Uno's Chicago Bar and Grill has a gluten free menu that includes PIZZA!

Good luck! It will get easier! I promise!