Menu

Would you take your child to the Dr.?

3 of our kiddos have been sick this week- sore throat, mild fevers, tired, achey, stuff/runny nose, sneezing, etc.

4yod is still congested and coughing, but has been improving otherwise.

She's still sleeping alot though. She just came to me and showed me that she has a rash all over her belly, it's spreading to her back. It doesn't itch.

It's not individual bumps, just a large speckley rash.

I don't know if I should take her in or not, and if there's no appt. available should I take her to the ER? Thanks for reading.

3 of our kiddos have been sick this week- sore throat, mild fevers, tired, achey, stuff/runny nose, sneezing, etc.

She's still sleeping alot though. She just came to me and showed me that she has a rash all over her belly, it's spreading to her back. It doesn't itch.

I don't know if I should take her in or not, and if there's no appt. available should I take her to the ER? Thanks for reading.

I'd call and speak to my doctor's nurse. That is how we usually know to come in for an appt., stay home, or go to the ER.

Sore throat with a rash would have me thinking strep. I would take her in.

Both of my girls have broken out in rashes at the tail-end of a virus. My pediatrician told me it is common in younger kids and just an immune response. It was usually on their midsection and wasn't itchy/didn't bother them at all. Maybe this is something similar? I would probably call and check with your doctor anyway, but just wanted to let you know our experience.

Hope everyone is better soon! :grouphug:

Yes, that's the scarlet fever presentation, isn't it? Worth a strep test, I think; call the nurse and she will figure out how to get you guys in quickly if necessary.

That was mu first thought too, I would call and see what the dr thinks, but I think it warrants getting checked out.

The rash is likely a viral rash. With the other symptoms, I'd say possibly roseola or fifth disease is the likely rash-causing viral culprit, both of which are ubiquitous to childhood and neither of which are a big deal. Unless the rash begins to itch, seep, hurt, etc. or if she's otherwise deteriorating, I'd keep her at home.

ETA: I just noticed the part about the sore throat! That could be from coughing/nasal drainage, so if it's improving along with those, not a big deal, but if the sore throat hasn't improved, then YES, do take her in.

I'd at least call if not taking her in to the doc. It could be nothing or it could be strep. Mt mom had scarlet fever as a child and caused issues because it wasn't treated soon.

Your dd didn't have any antibiotics did she? Ds12 breaks out in a rash after being on antibiotics for a week. We've had to switch types of meds for him more than once. Just thought I'd mention it in case she was on them.

I would call for the rash. The rest of the symptoms sound like viruses of some sort (not much the doc can do), but I'd be wondering about a rash.

I would definitely call. The nurse or doctor can advise you as to whether to come in (though I'm thinking they will want to see her b/c of the possible strep everyone else mentioned)

The rash is likely a viral rash. With the other symptoms, I'd say possibly roseola or fifth disease is the likely rash-causing viral culprit, both of which are ubiquitous to childhood and neither of which are a big deal. Unless the rash begins to itch, seep, hurt, etc. or if she's otherwise deteriorating, I'd keep her at home.

ETA: I just noticed the part about the sore throat! That could be from coughing/nasal drainage, so if it's improving along with those, not a big deal, but if the sore throat hasn't improved, then YES, do take her in.

I called, and they said that I'd have to take her to the ER to be seen, they have NO appointments available. The rash is not bothering her at all, and she's talking up a storm and eating normally, so I don't think her throat is still bothering her. She does not have a fever, and everything else is clearing up. I'm inclined to think it's just a viral rash, as they've had them before. She hasn't been taking any antibiotics. I didn't take any of them in to be seen for this 'virus', I didn't want to catch something else to go along with it. 6yod received the seasonal flu mist at school last week (either Thursday or Friday), and then 8yos was sick on Monday, and 4yod was sick Monday night.

Ugh, the conflict. :tongue_smilie:

I called, and they said that I'd have to take her to the ER to be seen, they have NO appointments available. The rash is not bothering her at all, and she's talking up a storm and eating normally, so I don't think her throat is still bothering her. She does not have a fever, and everything else is clearing up. I'm inclined to think it's just a viral rash, as they've had them before. She hasn't been taking any antibiotics. I didn't take any of them in to be seen for this 'virus', I didn't want to catch something else to go along with it. 6yod received the seasonal flu mist at school last week (either Thursday or Friday), and then 8yos was sick on Monday, and 4yod was sick Monday night.

Ugh, the conflict. :tongue_smilie:

Do you have any walk in clinics in your area? They could probably help you out.

Both of my girls have broken out in rashes at the tail-end of a virus. My pediatrician told me it is common in younger kids and just an immune response. It was usually on their midsection and wasn't itchy/didn't bother them at all. Maybe this is something similar? I would probably call and check with your doctor anyway, but just wanted to let you know our experience.

Hope everyone is better soon! :grouphug:

:iagree:dd6 gets one everytime she has a virus usually the last to happen just before all is well.

I'd call and talk to the nurse ro see what she/he had to say, and I am pretty sure my office would say to bring them in. If they do say "Oh, that's common, don't worry" at least you would be reassured. No harm, no foul going in if they say go. Well, you will be exposed to germs, but try not touch anything and wash hands as soon as you get into the exam room if you do go. Washy washy wahsy.

I would call. Your doctor knows your kids better than we do and should be the one to make the decision about whether to see them.

I took my dd to the pediatrician today because she's coughing and has a mild fever. I wasn't very concerned about her, but I am worried about my two chronically ill kids, and I wanted to make sure it wasn't something major. It turns out that my dd has what my sister, who is an immunologist, calls SSV: "some sorta virus."

;)

Tara

PS. The doc did give me Tamiflu prescriptions for each of my other kids, to be taken if they develop flu symptoms.