Menu

Phonics Road to Reading

bluemongoose

I have a DD who is nearly finished with 1st grade SSRW. I have the 2nd (red) LLATL for after that because that was all we could afford right now. Got it used.

Anyway, I am really interested in doing The Latin Road to Reading. I am wondering if it really makes a difference in how well the program goes if you go through Phonics Road first or if you just skipped it and started at the Bridge.

IYO would it be ok to continue with LLATL until the Bridge to the Latin Road and then move into the Latin Road from that point? Or would it be better to start with the Phonics Road and go through all of it?

If I start with Phonics Road, what level would I start with since she will have completed LLATL Red? She can already read fairly well...

If I go with Phonics Road we will be starting next fall, otherwise we would move on in LLATL...

I can only tell you what I am doing and how it is working so far. I started ds8 in Level One of PR. It was recommended to start at the beginning (on the website) and move quickly forward which is what we are doing. He is also using AAS so we alternate days. PR and AAS use a different sequence to teach letters, blends, etc. so they compliment each other and I know what he knows and doesn't know. I will be starting my dd12 on the Latin Road as soon as my book arrives. She has never done PR and think she will be just fine with LR. She will start with Level one, not Bridge, b/c she is strong in English grammar. HTH a bit. I can let you know how it is going once we start! Oh...FWIW..by ds8 also did LLATL Red, is a strong reader and we still need to review some blends in PR.

Hi. I've done both :) My oldest 3 started with the Bridge and headed into the Latin Road. We ended up not really needing the Bridge b/c our grammar was Rock Solid.

My youngest 3 are starting with PR and heading into the Latin Road.

I can't rec. higher anything than PR. It's worth every single penny, but I can understand the expense can be a burden. If you choose to pick up at the Bridge, here's what you need to know.

It is mostly grammar, very Latin light, really introducing some suffixes and prefixes that are actually introduced in PR 3 or 4 (I forget which one); however, once you start The Latin Road you need a firm, very firm, grounding of English grammar. You'll need to know the proper terms for all parts of speech in order to move along at the suggested pace and to understand the program. It is completely assumed you understand English Grammar. Using the Bridge may solidify that for some, while others may be able to pick up in the Latin Road.

Hope that helps :)

I will have the $$ to start PR next fall, just not now which is why we are going with LLATL red for now.

I guess I was wondering if I needed to start PR at all if she is already reading, but it sounds like that doesn't matter so much.

This ROCK solid grammar that is needed, would you say that is sufficiently accomplished when you use PR before LR? Grammar is not my strength, so I need to be able to learn with them. (I was not given grammar instruction in PS)

Tina- Is the Bridge light Latin, or is all the Latin Road light in Latin??? Just wanted to clarify...

Sue-How quickly did you go through level one after LLATL red? Did you also continue going through the other levels quickly, or was the first level the only one with review and hole filling and then the other levels were at normal speed??

Thanks for the help!

Hi. I've done both :) My oldest 3 started with the Bridge and headed into the Latin Road. We ended up not really needing the Bridge b/c our grammar was Rock Solid.

My youngest 3 are starting with PR and heading into the Latin Road.

I can't rec. higher anything than PR. It's worth every single penny, but I can understand the expense can be a burden. If you choose to pick up at the Bridge, here's what you need to know.

It is mostly grammar, very Latin light, really introducing some suffixes and prefixes that are actually introduced in PR 3 or 4 (I forget which one); however, once you start The Latin Road you need a firm, very firm, grounding of English grammar. You'll need to know the proper terms for all parts of speech in order to move along at the suggested pace and to understand the program. It is completely assumed you understand English Grammar. Using the Bridge may solidify that for some, while others may be able to pick up in the Latin Road.

Hope that helps :)

Tina, if my ds & dd are not Rock Solid in grammar but have had it in the past and are doing grammar this year, then do The Bridge (which we own but it's still packed) next year, will they be ready for The Latin Road?

Appreciate your help. It's so hard to find any answers regarding these programs.

Blessings,

I am using Phonics Road with dd8 who is a very strong reader and a good speller. We are zipping through level one and ready to start Level 2. I am more and more impressed with this program the more I use it. I originally didn't appreciate how complete a language arts program it is.

After Phonics Road we are planning on starting Latin Road, as I feel she will be well prepared and will not need the Bridge.

DD12, however, is not strong on grammar. We are starting formal grammar with R&S5, and I will use the Bridge with her before starting Latin Road. With my youngest two I plan on having them follow the Phonics Road to Latin Road sequence.

Blessings,

Lisa

I can't rec. higher anything than PR. It's worth every single penny:)

Tina, I couldn't agree more. And since you helped me decide to use this, THANKS!

I first saw Phonics Road as a spelling program. It's so much more. Reading, lit analysis, composition, grammar, Latin prep. I've been able to streamline so much. I just received Level 2, and love the Little House literature binder.

I feel like Phonics Road is the hidden gem of the homeschool market:)

Blessings,

Lisa

I am using Phonics Road with dd8 who is a very strong reader and a good speller. We are zipping through level one and ready to start Level 2. I am more and more impressed with this program the more I use it. I originally didn't appreciate how complete a language arts program it is.

After Phonics Road we are planning on starting Latin Road, as I feel she will be well prepared and will not need the Bridge.

DD12, however, is not strong on grammar. We are starting formal grammar with R&S5, and I will use the Bridge with her before starting Latin Road. With my youngest two I plan on having them follow the Phonics Road to Latin Road sequence.

That's my plan anyway.

Blessings,

Lisa

Thanks, that helps.

My first three will most likey use The Bridge before doing The Latin Road.

My last three will complete all four levels of The Phonics Road. I'm thinking they can go straight to The Latin Road.

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been a bit busy in school the past 2 weeks.

I will have the $$ to start PR next fall, just not now which is why we are going with LLATL red for now.

I guess I was wondering if I needed to start PR at all if she is already reading, but it sounds like that doesn't matter so much. Yes. Learning the foundation of the program is necessary and instruction begins with year 1. Having said that, it is very easy to move at an accelerated pace (we were able to do 1 week in 1 day to get through the first volume)

This ROCK solid grammar that is needed, would you say that is sufficiently accomplished when you use PR before LR? Grammar is not my strength, so I need to be able to learn with them. (I was not given grammar instruction in PS) Yes, It is accomplished using all of PR

Tina- Is the Bridge light Latin, or is all the Latin Road light in Latin??? Just wanted to clarify...Only the Bridge is light latin. The Latin Road is amazing. Latin hits hard and fast, but very understandable b.c. it approaches using the already learned english grammar.

Thanks for the help!

You're always welcome!

One ? I forgot...If you do use PR before LR do you still use the bridge, or do you skip it? Is it just an intro for those not using PR before LR???
The later...it's an intro for those who have never used PR.

My plan for the first child who will complete all PR before entering Latin is to have her complete level 4, then do a year of easy review using the Bridge (cuz I own it) and have her focus heavily on writing for one school year. This will bring her into 7th grade, and her little brother in 5th. I intend to start them together on LR1. This means she'll get the extra year between (b/c Bridge is easy review after already using the program) and he'll skip the Bridge.

Tina, if my ds & dd are not Rock Solid in grammar but have had it in the past and are doing grammar this year, then do The Bridge (which we own but it's still packed) next year, will they be ready for The Latin Road?

Appreciate your help. It's so hard to find any answers regarding these programs.

Blessings,

If you are not Rock Solid in English grammar, you should do the Bridge first and get to Rock Solid.

If you work very hard this year and can mark sentences, diagram well and have an understanding of parts of speech, with the ability to identify them in sentences, then you won't need the Bridge.

My analysis of the Bridge:

Pros:

Introduces the style of the program.

A very gentle approach and easy cross from English towards Latin

A final hurrah of English grammar before the Latin kicks in gear.

Cons

If you're (or your student is) strong in English Grammar its not necessary.

If you have completed all the previous PR, it will seem redundant; however, if you still need further practice with grammar, that redundancy will be a pro.

I hope that helps. Feel free to email me cuz I check there with much greater regularity.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Tina, I couldn't agree more. And since you helped me decide to use this, THANKS! You're very welcome.

I first saw Phonics Road as a spelling program. It's so much more. Reading, lit analysis, composition, grammar, Latin prep. I've been able to streamline so much. I just received Level 2, and love the Little House literature binder.

I feel like Phonics Road is the hidden gem of the homeschool market:)

Blessings,

Lisa

I feel the same way! Wait until you settle into the "regular" pace. It takes me 40 minutes top to bottom to cover all three content areas (spelling, phonics, read aloud literature study w/ notebooking, dictation, grammar) -- with 2 students on one level! People often worry about the time, but I'm tellin' ya' Now that we're all familiar with the program, we knock it out and it's gentle and enjoyable.

How well do you think Phonics Road would work with a child who is smart, but might also have a mild learning disability?

Jan

I can say I have heard praise when dyslexics use the program. To any other specific disability, I cannot comment. I will add, though that this program is thorough, thorough, thorough. I honestly have zero worries concerning gaps in language arts now.

Thank you Tina for responding...

I thought of a couple more questions if you don't mind!

1. What age is PR level 1 aimed at? My DD will almost be 6 (winter bday) when I am planning to start. She is almost 5 right now and able to read and write pretty well phonetically.

My DS is nearly 3 and is starting to learn his letter sounds and wants to learn to read, he however is going to be lacking in the writing ability compared to where his sis was at this age. He can barley hold a pencil at all. So I was planning to start him on phonics instruction without the writing part for a long while. Do kids need to be able to write well with PR? I am not thinking I would start him now (don't think I am that crazy) but I am imagining that writing will not come as easily as it did with DD and he may not be ready even at 6yo. Would starting a kid who cannot write well, but can read well work with PR?

Assuming I skip the bridge, would DD then be too young to start LR???

I think I have asked all my Q's...but you never know!

Thanks again for the help!

Thank you Tina for responding...

I thought of a couple more questions if you don't mind!

1. What age is PR level 1 aimed at? My DD will almost be 6 (winter bday) when I am planning to start. She is almost 5 right now and able to read and write pretty well phonetically. Aimed to start at 6, when the average child has greater dexterity to succeed in the writing portion of the program.

My DS is nearly 3 and is starting to learn his letter sounds and wants to learn to read, he however is going to be lacking in the writing ability compared to where his sis was at this age. He can barley hold a pencil at all. So I was planning to start him on phonics instruction without the writing part for a long while. Do kids need to be able to write well with PR? I am not thinking I would start him now (don't think I am that crazy) but I am imagining that writing will not come as easily as it did with DD and he may not be ready even at 6yo. Would starting a kid who cannot write well, but can read well work with PR? I might (and actually will be come December) teach a younger student the sounds, perhaps following the order of the program, and work up to handwriting. That would make the start of PR 1 super easy. You would still need to go through the rest of year one, though.

Assuming I skip the bridge, would DD then be too young to start LR??? The workload is enough that *I* (a heavily academic, high work load school) would not start LR before a child was a mature 5th grader.

I think I have asked all my Q's...but you never know!

Thanks again for the help!

Welcome :)