Menu

RS4K Curriculum

buddhabelly

Well since the thread-that-cannot-be-mentioned was closed right before I posted on it (which is better than what usually happens -- usually it is closed or deleted right AFTER I post, which makes me really paranoid)......

I used Pre-Level I Chemistry as well as Chem 1, Physics 1, and Biology 1. I found no bias, and did not find it odd that evolution was not addressed in Bio 1 because, IMO, it is a pretty sophisticated concept and easily misunderstood in the younger grades. After all, if it took all those scientists who were way smarter than me all those centuries to put it together.....

We are the most secular of secular homeschoolers, and did not find any "bad science" in it. I did take college level chemistry and biology, but do not have any advanced degrees. I think I might buy Chem 2 because there are some confusing bits in McHenry's "Elements" that I want to clear up. (Not really confusing bits, just the orbital stuff that I don't think can be taught well at the logic stage. Was surprised that McHenry chose to include it.)

Just wanted to reassure folks that there is no Intelligent Design stuff "hidden" in the curriculum, and it is a really good one. I think the important thing about Dr. Keller's beliefs is that she believes that children can do science. Real science. And that's why she chose that name for her curriculum series.

Julie

We'll see, I guess. I am just a homeschooling mom giving details about a curriculum I have used. The other thread was closed for a very different reason. And the Intelligent Design views of the author, by the way, were very well-known to all on this board back when I first bought the curriculum in (counting quickly in my head) 2005.

Julie