Menu

How does kelp taste?

My daughters and I had lunch in a Chinese restaurant this afternoon. One of the dishes on the buffet was kelp. The first taste was ok but there was a very strong, unpleasant fishy aftertaste. We're wondering if kelp naturally has a fishy taste or more likely it was the way it was prepared. All I could find online was that kelp has a salty flavor. Anyone know? Thanks so much.

Ann

My daughters and I had lunch in a Chinese restaurant this afternoon. One of the dishes on the buffet was kelp. The first taste was ok but there was a very strong, unpleasant fishy aftertaste. We're wondering if kelp naturally has a fishy taste or more likely it was the way it was prepared. All I could find online was that kelp has a salty flavor. Anyone know? Thanks so much.

Ann

Yes, it tastes fishy. Personally, I hate it, but I don't like any seafood at all.

Well, kelp must be one of those foods that's either loved or hated! It probably won't be a staple in our house, at least not now. Since my older daughter loves sushi so I'm surprised she didn't like the taste. Either way, I'm glad we tried it. Next to the kelp were strips of a pink meat. The manager identified it as pig ear. We didn't try it but maybe next time.

Thanks much.

Ann

Don't give up just yet. You might love it in the right context. These things require a bit of experimentation before you can make up your mind for sure. One of my cookbooks has a great recipe for potato, corn and a bunch of different sea weeds soup. It's GREAT! But only with a milk or milk alternative. Without, it's gross.

Rosie

Well, kelp must be one of those foods that's either loved or hated! It probably won't be a staple in our house, at least not now. Since my older daughter loves sushi so I'm surprised she didn't like the taste. Either way, I'm glad we tried it. Next to the kelp were strips of a pink meat. The manager identified it as pig ear. We didn't try it but maybe next time.

Thanks much.

Ann

Laver (nori) and Kelp have very different flavor (and especially texture) profiles.

Kelp can be good, but like okra, can be done very badly. It can get blubbery, slimy, off-tasting and gross. It's true.

But well prepared, wiped off with a moist cloth, reconstituted in several changes of water, and drained and dried off. And either not cooked, or cooked gently for a short time, and kelp can be quite good.

I make a salad with kelp that I think is delicious. I'l try noyt to let one bad encounter put you off kelp for life.

Bill