Menu

I hate the "N" word

I really, really do. Today I picked up the book on disk, Uncle Tom's Cabin. So far, everytime the narrator says the "N" word, it makes my ears hurt and my stomach turn. I read Huck Finn, and I think because I was able to use my eyes to look past that word, I really enjoyed the book. But when we listened to the same story, I had a very difficult time enjoying the story again (even though the narrator was awesome).

I've heard the word used as a term of endearment from one black individual to another, and I cannot for the life of me understand why.

That is all.

I don't like it either, but if you're reading a book or seeing a movie about the time period when it was in common usage, it's disingenuous to change it, kwim?

I think it's important to know that not that long ago, that was what black people were commonly referred as. Pretty? No, but the truth.

My 16yo absolutely refused to read Uncle Tom's Cabin for that very reason. I had to pick another book.

When my youngest son read Tom Sawyer last year, he used the word but totally out of context. He had honestly never heard it. I had to tell him what it meant.

I really hate that word.

My 8 year old recently listened to an audio recording of Huckleberry Finn and came to me asking what the word meant. It was so weird hearing him say it. He said it so innocently. I had to explain what it meant and that it wasn't a nice thing to say. I told him that I never wanted to hear that word come out of his mouth again, to stress how bad of a word it is (stupid is not an acceptable word in our house, but does sometimes slip out from one of the kids; he needed to understand this was a more forbidden word than stupid). He agreed that it wasn't a nice thing to say and he would never say it.

My 8 year old recently listened to an audio recording of Huckleberry Finn and came to me asking what the word meant. It was so weird hearing him say it. He said it so innocently. I had to explain what it meant and that it wasn't a nice thing to say. I told him that I never wanted to hear that word come out of his mouth again, to stress how bad of a word it is (stupid is not an acceptable word in our house, but does sometimes slip out from one of the kids; he needed to understand this was a more forbidden word than stupid). He agreed that it wasn't a nice thing to say and he would never say it.

We listened to this in the car this past summer. I was shocked. I had no idea how often that word would be repeated in that book. I had only read a dumped down (now I see why!) version when I was a kid. I thought it would be more along the lines of Tom Sawyer. I have 5 kids, the youngest being 4, who listened to the story. I had to repeatly remind them that they can never use that word. It is a great book, but best saved for more mature kids.

I grew up in the south (FL). When we were little we occasionally used it but of course we got in big trouble! I've lived in predominately white areas for the past 15 years and never hear it, but I know what you mean about African Americans calling each other the "n" word :huh:. I read Huckleberry Finn aloud to my girls about five years ago and it was hard to spit that one out of my mouth.

I wish the "f" word had as much negative association with it. Maybe then we would not have to be so subjected to it all of the time. Maybe someday it will be just something that we have to put up with in the "literature" and "media" of the this time period, ya think? :D

I wish the "f" word had as much negative association with it. Maybe then we would not have to be so subjected to it all of the time. Maybe someday it will be just something that we have to put up with in the "literature" and "media" of the this time period, ya think? :D

:iagree:

It was so weird hearing him say it. He said it so innocently. I had to explain what it meant and that it wasn't a nice thing to say.

Yeah, my kids have "invented" it as a (fake) word -- I had to tell them it's not good at ALL, and they don't really believe me. (They're young, obviously.) They think it sounds cute or something. They drove me crazy saying it for a while, but seem to have stopped.

I have the same hesitation about reading books with it. Not sure what I'll do.