Menu

Would you get immunizations when traveling to Asia?

My daughter (6) and I are traveling to Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia in 2.5 weeks. Mom said they don't check immunization records...but she suggested getting some. I'm leary of all of that stuff. My daughter is fully vaccinated though..so am I.

This is what they recommend:

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/asia/indonesia.php

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/asia/malaysia.php

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/asia/singapore.php

I'm so torn. I just want to say NO...we will not be doing that. I don't have much time to decide for sure!

WWYD?

If you're fully vaccinated then you already have the DTAP, MMR, Hep A and perhaps Hep B (not sure on that one).

The other vaccinations that are recommended are specifically for if you are going to be in rural areas. That would be the deciding factor for me. If you are going to be at a resort or in a major city than don't get the others. If you are going to be in the country or wilderness then you really should. Some of these diseases are pretty horrible.

I'm confused - if your dd is fully vaxed, I can't see from what you linked that she'd need any new ones based on those recommendations? They'd recommend a polio booster for you. Of course, I don't know your travel plans - are you planning to spend a lot of time in rural areas after dusk?

They say you only need yellow fever if you're arriving there from an endemic country - US isn't one of them.

Japanese encephalitis is if you're planning to spend "substantial" time in rural areas after dusk; Rabies if you think you'll have exposure to animal bites.

Typhoid is only if you're going to eat or drink outside of major hotels - is that the one you're thinking of?

If she's fully vaxed she's already had MMR, Hep B, and Diptheria/Tetanus, (that's DTP here), and she's young enough not to need a polio booster.

ETA: I missed the Hep A on the second two - I'd get that.

Edited by matroyshka

If you're fully vaccinated then you already have the DTAP, MMR, Hep A and perhaps Hep B (not sure on that one).

The other vaccinations that are recommended are specifically for if you are going to be in rural areas. That would be the deciding factor for me. If you are going to be at a resort or in a major city than don't get the others. If you are going to be in the country or wilderness then you really should. Some of these diseases are pretty horrible.

I concur!

Dont forget about malaria prophylaxis, I think you might need it.

I'm confused - if your dd is fully vaxed, I can't see from what you linked that she'd need any new ones based on those recommendations? They'd recommend a polio booster for you. Of course, I don't know your travel plans - are you planning to spend a lot of time in rural areas after dusk?

They say you only need yellow fever if you're arriving there from an endemic country - US isn't one of them.

Japanese encephalitis is if you're planning to spend "substantial" time in rural areas after dusk; Rabies if you think you'll have exposure to animal bites.

Typhoid is only if you're going to eat or drink outside of major hotels - is that the one you're thinking of?

If she's fully vaxed she's already had MMR, Hep B, and Diptheria/Tetanus, (that's DTP here), and she's young enough not to need a polio booster.

ETA: I missed the Hep A on the second two - I'd get that.

Thanks for typing all of that out...that's what I needed, another set of eyes that saw past the words....my brain is all foggy from looking at it.

I haven't seen any recommendation for an immunization against Malaria though (responding to a poster under you.)

Thanks for typing all of that out...that's what I needed, another set of eyes that saw past the words....my brain is all foggy from looking at it.

I haven't seen any recommendation for an immunization against Malaria though (responding to a poster under you.)

Not a vaccine, but if malaria is prevalent, you will need to take malaria tablets.

Edited to add if you need malaria prophylaxis, it usually needs to start before the trip, and then keep it going during and for some time after the trip itself, so I would find out asap.

Edited by Mabelen

If you are planning on staying in western style hotels and not eating in other places, then I'd go for the hepatitis and maybe the Japanese Encephalitis (mosquito borne disease).

FWIW we had pretty much all of those vax when we lived in China, but we lived in the provinces, ate in local restaurants and travelled to less expensive hotels.

Have fun!

Laura

If you have to take anti-malaria pills - you do start before you go. If you (or your children) can swallow pills I greatly recommend the once weekly pill.

If your kids can't (like mine could not) it is a daily regimen of pills - I crushed them and they ate them mixed with a teaspoon of mashed bananas.

Do find out (call the travel medicine clinic in a big hospital) if you absolutely need the anti-malaria pills. You do not want to take them if you don't have to (all of us threw up from the pills at least once). But - malaria itself is nasty so if you need it then you'd rather have the pills than the disease.

If you have to take anti-malaria pills - you do start before you go. If you (or your children) can swallow pills I greatly recommend the once weekly pill.

If your kids can't (like mine could not) it is a daily regimen of pills - I crushed them and they ate them mixed with a teaspoon of mashed bananas.

Do find out (call the travel medicine clinic in a big hospital) if you absolutely need the anti-malaria pills. You do not want to take them if you don't have to (all of us threw up from the pills at least once). But - malaria itself is nasty so if you need it then you'd rather have the pills than the disease.

Aren't they horrible? :ack2: But malaria itself is nastier still, so you have to do what you have to do!

Agree with the others. My family lives in India and the last couple of times we visited we didn't even bother with the malaria pills which are downright nasty. Of course, we do have a family friend who is a physician and he would have written a presciption for meds in the event we needed it. A major consideration is if you will be traveling to rural areas. We were mostly in the city so we were took a chance and skipped the pills.

My daughter (6) and I are traveling to Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia in 2.5 weeks. Mom said they don't check immunization records...but she suggested getting some. I'm leary of all of that stuff. My daughter is fully vaccinated though..so am I.

WWYD?

I honestly would, to be on the safe side. About 10 years ago, the pastor of my church traveled to a foreign country and picked up a disease that almost took his life. It is not even something that we have in the US (that I know of) and they had a really hard time treating him. I'd say that, if it is something the US recommends you get before you go, that you get it OR, at the very least, you have read about it and know that it is a risk. It is totally up to you in the end, but I think I would.

I would get Hep A if you haven't yet. It takes 2 shots 6 months apart to get 100% immunity but after the first shot you have over 90% immunity. Hep A can be spread through dirty dishes or silverware so that would be my biggest concern.

I have traveled to Taiwan and China (in Taiwan we had the girls with us) and were mostly in urban areas. The only additional vaccinations we got were Hep A and B (dds already had these but dh and I had never had them, they weren't standard when we were last immunized).

I forgot to mention that a major precaution our family practices is being very careful about the water. We only drank bottled water and accepted soft drinks or tea when visiting others.

Agree with the others. My family lives in India and the last couple of times we visited we didn't even bother with the malaria pills which are downright nasty. Of course, we do have a family friend who is a physician and he would have written a presciption for meds in the event we needed it. A major consideration is if you will be traveling to rural areas. We were mostly in the city so we were took a chance and skipped the pills.

We lived in southeast asia for 6 monthes. Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Burma, and Malaysia were the countries we spent time in.

We are all fully vaccinated for the "normal" stuff. Upon prayerful consideration and research we chose only to add the Hep A vaccine to what we already had. We opted out of Malaria, Jap Encephelistis, and typhoid.

Where you are going, the risk is quite low.

Study up and take extra special precautions with food, water and mosquito exposure. Malaria skitos come out at night for example so at night stay in or cover yourself, etc.

This is however, a hard decision to make and you ultimatley know what is best for your family. Pray about, if you pray, and used your momma intuition.

Have fun, I am sort of jealous!!!!

e