Menu

Aargh! Would you eat this?

Dh purchased a 5 lb tenderloin, fully wrapped, and put it in the bottom drawer of the fridge (the vegetable drawer, mind you :tongue_smilie:) without mentioning it to me. Since our vegetable drawer freezes vegetables, I keep them on the top shelf, and we use it only for sodas, which I don't drink, so I rarely look in there.

So just now, while cleaning out the fridge - I found the tenderloin. The sell by date is Oct. 19th! Aargh!

It's in a sealed package, but I still feel squeamish about it. OTOH, I hate to throw it out - we rarely buy such a high priced entree, but he was anticipating that we might have company when he bought it.

ETA: I just called the butcher to see what he would say.

It was packaged in Cryovac, using a process that removes all of the air before sealing the packaging. He said it's safe to eat for up to 30 days.

:scared:

Edited by ELaurie

...kidding, of course, but not entirely. In one of the later books, he ships (several days by train) a wrapped tenderloin which he had just butchered to his mother and the kids back East. He writes a letter telling them to cut off the outside layer, and the inside will be just fine for consumption.

The tenderloin arrived before the letter, and his mother pitched in in the outside garbage it stank so badly. His sister received the letter later that day or the next, did exactly as he said, and--voila--they enjoyed a lovely meal or two.

That's what I'd do...see if cutting off the outside made any difference, and if the underlying portions were any good. I'd also do it outside or right under my kitchen hood, just in case it was nasty.

Good luck!

Dh purchased a 5 lb tenderloin, fully wrapped, and put it in the bottom drawer of the fridge (the vegetable drawer, mind you :tongue_smilie:) without mentioning it to me. Since our vegetable drawer freezes vegetables, I keep them on the top shelf, and we use it only for sodas, which I don't drink, so I rarely look in there.

So just now, while cleaning out the fridge - I found the tenderloin. The sell by date is Oct. 19th! Aargh!

It's in a sealed package, but I still feel squeamish about it. OTOH, I hate to throw it out - we rarely buy such a high priced entree, but he was anticipating that we might have company when he bought it.

I would open it up and give it the sniff test. DH went to a food school in Iowa....and learned a ton about aged meat. Aged beef is just that.......aged. Unless it smells nasty, is slimy, etc.. I would cook it. All bacteria die when properly and thoroughly cooked. Notice I didn't say it would taste good! Rancid doens't taste good.