Menu

Does Anyone Use BOTH CW and IEW?

Staci in FL

I simply cannot figure out which one is better for my fifth grade, reluctant writer. She's very much a free spirit with a vivid imagination, so I think CW would appeal to her.

I'm thinking that CW would be great to teach her writing and I could use IEW to help her write her history and science papers. We do history and science ala TWTM, and I feel like she is floating in the wind when she has to write about what she has just read. She narrates well, but it is the organization that is missing. I was hoping Writing Strands would do that, but it isn't.

I guess I want to know if CW really and truly can be applied across the curriculum or, should I try to do both?

Staci

I simply cannot figure out which one is better for my fifth grade, reluctant writer. She's very much a free spirit with a vivid imagination, so I think CW would appeal to her.

I'm thinking that CW would be great to teach her writing and I could use IEW to help her write her history and science papers. We do history and science ala TWTM, and I feel like she is floating in the wind when she has to write about what she has just read. She narrates well, but it is the organization that is missing. I was hoping Writing Strands would do that, but it isn't.

I guess I want to know if CW really and truly can be applied across the curriculum or, should I try to do both?

Staci

Staci,

I think a few people have gone back and forth. Not planned so much as just in reaction to circumstances/needs. The bigger problem is that you only have so much time and both are full programs. I don't think you could do both at the same time...CW is a full plate and I know people who do it at half pace because of that.

CW can be applied across the curriculium, but it is more work. You can choose models from science resources. In Homer they have several sections from Guerber history books. But I don't think that is what you really are getting at. I think what you want to know is when will they be able to write a 5 paragraph essay on a topic, right? In CW Homer basically works on writing book reports, or what the child learns can be applied that way, and in Diogenes they learn the 5 paragraph essay and begin to write totally original content. It is delayed compared to other programs, but for me that is a strength. I don't have the time or the energy to help my kids come up with original content right now. My oldest is creative and plays with the characters and setting of the stories in CW, but ask when it comes to original content she freezes. I would have to do a lot of hand holding to do original content with her. CW has done such a good job of teaching other skills I can't wait to see how they transfer the child into original writing.

Heather

This is an extremely helpful response. You hit the nail on the head for what I am looking for. This particular child has a horrendous time picking original content (this happens when doing R&S grammar all the time), so IEW would probably be an enormous source of frustration for her. Thank you for the advice. I'm ordering it tonight.

Thanks again, Heather.

Staci

Thanks for the thread as I've been wondering the same thing. We are using CW Primer with ds#1, but I'm thinking he'll be ready for CW Aesop by spring. But, I like the idea of keyword outlining and such from IEW, but I know for our main writing program, I want to stick with CW. I too was wondering if anyone has used the basic structure of IEW for history/science, and yet used CW for their main writing program. (My IRL friend has the IEW teacher's dvds, so I'm currently working through the first.)

Thanks for the thread as I've been wondering the same thing. We are using CW Primer with ds#1, but I'm thinking he'll be ready for CW Aesop by spring. But, I like the idea of keyword outlining and such from IEW, but I know for our main writing program, I want to stick with CW. I too was wondering if anyone has used the basic structure of IEW for history/science, and yet used CW for their main writing program. (My IRL friend has the IEW teacher's dvds, so I'm currently working through the first.)

Actually I do outlining starting in Aesop. The core book suggests it as an option, but I found it necessary. Otherwise I got one big page of writing with no paragraphs. By outlining each paragraph I end up with a well formatted and polished paper.

It is also easy to add models to Aesop, especially once you have done both levels. My oldest needed more time in grammar and I just chose a new model each week. I think a few weeks I allowed her to choose as well. In Homer it isn't quite as easy to do that, though again if you did it after doing the bulk of the program it might be easier as nothing would be changing.

Heather

Thanks Heather! Being new to both of them, I haven't yet seen enough of CW to know how much it will transfer over to other subject areas. I know enough to know it is the direction I want to go, but I also am huge on being able to write across the curriculum and was concerned that might not be as easy with going solely with CW. I appreciate the insight. :)