Menu

Do YOU have an anaphylactic allergy?

It seems there are a lot of children with allergies like this, esp nuts. But I don't often hear of adults having them as frequently as kids these days.

I do - I'm allergic to shellfish, so I need to be extra careful with cross contamination at grilles and hibatchi style places. Shellfish carries over into iodine containing things like vitamins and such (although, table salt at restaurants has never really thrown me off), but especially at the hospital because they use iodine as a surgery prep.

I don't, but dd's pre-k teacher did. She didn't develop it (peanut/tree nut) until she was 19. I'd always heard severe allergies can develop at anytime, but didn't know anyone that happened to. Regardless, I felt very safe with dd in her class because I knew she could read labels and use an EpiPen.

Cephalosporins...a class of antibiotics

They make me feel like I have a golf ball stuck in my throat. One was once given to DS2 when he was an infant, and I broke out in full body hives from nursing him. He also broke out in full body hives but they were so small the doctors and nurses thought it was heat rash. It took me four days before I found a doctor who believed me about both of us reacting to his medicine.

Five percent of those allergic to cephalosporins are also allergic to penicillins. I've never had a problem with them until more recently (after the above reactions). Penicillins only make me feel like a have a small marble in my throat. No one wants to take the risk to double check the reaction; I keep thinking I may have been making it that one up.

Five percent of those allergic to cephalosporins are also allergic to penicillins. I've never had a problem with them until more recently (after the above reactions). Penicillins only make me feel like a have a small marble in my throat. No one wants to take the risk to double check the reaction; I keep thinking I may have been making it that one up.

I also had a reaction to first generation cephalosporins, and was told by a doctor years ago (as a teenager) that I could never take pencillin again. That misinformation came back to haunt me after I developed a serious infection after a c-section that needed to be treated with penicillin. It was a scary time as the doctors tried to figure out how to treat me - even though they believed I was not allergic to penicillin. Eventually after a course of IV Leviquin (sp?) and a week in the hospital, I was released.

After that, I made an appt. with an allergist, and got tested so I never have to go through that again. The penicillin test was negative. So if I ever have another c-section again, I can receive penicillin intravenously. If you have doubts about your penicillin allergy being legitimate, I would seriously consider seeing an allergist about being tested (or at least get a professional opinion) before you ever find yourself in a similar situation. Of course, your allergist may be the one not wanting to take the risk to test you - I couldn't discern whether that was the case or not from your post.

I'm allergic to shrimp enzymes (not shellfish in general). This allergy began suddenly (I am a former shrimp lover) when I washed some shrimp to cook for DH 23 years ago and some entered a small cut on my hand. Since then, I've had several reactions, increasing in severity, and cannot eat anything that may have even a hint of shrimp in it.

Thankfully, I can still eat lobster and Alaskan king crab legs.

Shellfish, all the penicillan and it's family of drugs, and E/Mycin all give me an anaphylactic reaction. I very sensitive to shellfish -even cross contamination (fries cooked in same oil as shrimp, can't eat at most Japanese restaurants that cook all things on one grill, etc.)

I'm also non-anaphylactically sensitive water chestnuts when mixed with soy sauce (can eat both separately but together my lips swell and gums and teeth hurt like the dickens).

ALL of these allergies onset later in life-Shellfish at 14 and the rest as adults.

My biggest pet peeve is I wish people would mark their crab salads that look just like chicken salad........

I developed the allergy quite suddenly when I was in my early 30's. It took me a couple of exposures to realize what had happened, I had eaten kiwi many times before.

I don't know if I am full-blown anaphylactic allergy, but a bite of kiwi caused my lips to swell and burn, mouth to feel "full", almost instantaneous nausea and vomiting, severe stomach pain, and a general sick feeling.

I'm not allergic to anything else that I know of.

Michelle T

I don't know if I am full-blown anaphylactic allergy, but a bite of kiwi caused my lips to swell and burn, mouth to feel "full", almost instantaneous nausea and vomiting, severe stomach pain, and a general sick feeling.

I'm not allergic to anything else that I know of.

Michelle T

That is anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is two body systems--so the swelling and GI together are anaphylactic. It's important because next time it could be shock or throat swelling. You need an Epi Pen.