Menu

? about high school math choices

My ds (who will be 10th grade next year) is doing Saxon Algebra 1 and having a hard time with it. We've looked at Teaching Textbooks online for next fall and he likes the look of it very much. However, I have a couple of questions:

1) Since Saxon integrates Geometry, would he need to do both Geometry and Algebra 2 in TT?

2) if so, what would be the recommended schedule? Geometry first or Algebra 2? He may go to Christian high school for 11th/12th grades in order to play football so I'm trying to keep that in mind.

3)Am I correct in thinking that Saxon Algebra 1 and 2 satisfy the basic HS math requirements...no need for a 3rd year?

Thank you in advance!

3)Am I correct in thinking that Saxon Algebra 1 and 2 satisfy the basic HS math requirements...no need for a 3rd year?

This may depend upon where you are located. In Wisconsin, the graduation requirement is two math credits and they must include Algebra and Geometry.

Have you explored the requirements for graduation in your state?

Is your student college bound? Most colleges require at least three years of math; here in NC, four years is the new requirement for students applying to the UNC system.

What lies down the road for your student?

Jane

that's what I get for typing quickly right before I head out the door, with little ones arguing under my feet.

I double-checked our state's HS requirements, and we do need three years of math (duh). So I guess my question then morphs into...any problems or considerations I need to be aware of in transitioning to TT?

there, that's better!