Menu

spelling corrections in written work

My DS11 is dyslexic (seems I start all my posts this way!:rolleyes:). Anyhow, we have just started IEW Middle Ages. DS completed his first rough draft yesterday and although the general content of the paragraph was better than average, the spelling was hideous (as usual).

Now, he did just start reading well about 9 month ago, so I'm assuming that his spelling will catch up in a few years. In the meantime, I'm doing AAS with him, and we're mid-way through level 2. He gets it, and it's beginning translate to his written work, but we're still just starting silent e words.

In an 8 sentence paragraph he made 18 errors. Some he should have known (like = liyck), some 2 different spellings of the same word (middle = both midal and midel), some just tough words (chaos = kaos). My DH thinks he should look up every word he missed and write each one three times. I'll admit that I'm reluctant to do this as DS will see it as a punishment, and I want him to simply write freely.

Currently, I just correct the spelling and have him re-write. I need suggestions; is there a good compromise, should I bite the bullet and hand him the dictionary, or should I continue to be his spell check and assume it will eventually sort itself out?

Thanks for the help,

I don't know how AAS works, but couldn't you just require him to do that with words he should have mastered in the spelling program.

If you choose to edit too many things at once it would be overwhelming.

Also, at 11, I would have him typing some of it and then using a spell check.

Compromise? You correct the words that are hard and he hasn't learned yet such as chaos. He looks up words that he should have spelling correctly such as, like. Just an idea.

I think correction (whoever does it) and re-writing sounds beneficial. At least he is seeing it spelling correctly.

Personally, if his spelling is so horrible he can't read what he writes, I might would have him go back to dictating the assignment to me, type it up for him, and have him copy it down correctly. At least that way he isn't writing and rewriting bad spelling habits. I've done this with both my children as they learned to read and transitioned to writing.

A few thoughts:

I agree that if you have him use the dictionary to look up 18 misspelled words in 8 sentences that it will hinder his enjoyment of writing.

I also agree that you should correct the misspelled words and he should rewrite the paper accordingly. I would also suggest keeping a list of those words and working on them for spelling and vocabulary lessons in lieu of any other formal spelling program you might presently be using. Go over the phoenetic and spelling rules for each. Keep it fun by having him write sentences that include as many of them as he can fit into one sentence and let the sentence be silly if he wants. But most importantly, keep it seperate from his writing class.

Considering his struggles, occasional narration would be good, however at his age, you probably want him to be more independant with his IEW work, since that is thinking on paper, more or less, and really good exercise for him.

ETA - maybe, if he has a lot of words throughout the course of a week, group the like ones together; work on short vowel sounds and double consonants one day and implement the words he's misspelled that go with that spelling rule, the next day cover when to use el or le and group those words together, etc. That way, there will at least be a common theme to the day's exercise.

Edited by LauraGB

We use a spelling curriculum. Because writing (creative or essay-type) uses so much brain power-thinking of themes, making sentences and paragraphs, etc, I do not count off for spelling in papers. I also don't make them correct their spelling. I correct the misspelled words for them. If it's a draft, then they need to make sure they insert the corrected words.

drafts are for ideas, get the content down on paper. proofreading and editing are steps that come later. as long as he can read it, it's fine. go over the draft later, on another day, so he's a little removed from the writing. help him find the errors and correct them. then expect the errors to be gone on the final paper.

Thanks all, this is helping me clarify my ideas.

We do writing to help get his ideas onto paper independently (while developing his own style). There's plenty of dictation in AAS, and I usually have him narrate his history and science writing to me, so that he can concentrate on finding a main idea for outlining or summarizing.

Realizing this, I think that I'll have him correct the words he should have gotten correct based on his spelling level (only 2! Yay!). Focusing on these words for a week or so should help them "stick" hopefully.

I guess I should be counting my blessings. I have friends whose kids won't write what they can't spell, so their writing sounds more juvenile. My son writes what he wants to write, regardless :D.

Thanks again,