Menu

After Latin for Children Primer C?

Heather in WI

Hi! My oldest (9 years old), is working through Latin for Children Primer C this year (fourth grade) and I'm starting to wonder what he should use next.

This would be for a 5th grader, so I'm a little nervous about going to a high school text. He works almost independently in Latin, so if the program was set up that way, he does work well with that format. He does maintain a 90% average in Latin and enjoys it. I would prefer not to use an explicitly Catholic text.

Also, I am interested in some point in having him participate in the National Latin Exam, so a program that would help him prepare for that would be a double bonus.

Have you looked at the samples for Latin Alive from Classical Academic Press? They advertise the first book as either being a good starting book for a pre-teen just beginning Latin or as a fast review and practice for a student who has completed LfC a,b,c - This looks promising for a younger student of latin who has as much practice as your child.

I have been a fan of CAP products so far, they are some of our favorites around my house.

Have you looked at the samples for Latin Alive from Classical Academic Press? They advertise the first book as either being a good starting book for a pre-teen just beginning Latin or as a fast review and practice for a student who has completed LfC a,b,c - This looks promising for a younger student of latin who has as much practice as your child.

I have been a fan of CAP products so far, they are some of our favorites around my house.

:iagree: I'm using Latin Alive for my self ed and ds is on LFC B.

:iagree: I'm using Latin Alive for my self ed and ds is on LFC B.

How are you liking Latin Alive?

My only concern with continuing with Classical Academic Press is the lack of proofreading & typos drive me crazy! LfC A is much, much, much better now that it's on its 3rd or 4th revision, but LfC C seems like it is still on its first printing or the second revision. I was worried that the problems would continue with Latin Alive because it's still so new.

I was thinking of switching to something that had a longer track record. Of course, he's doing well with CAP, so staying with it is probably what we'll do if I can't find anything else.

They used to recommend moving into Oxford Latin, book 2 after completing LFC Primer C.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

How are you liking Latin Alive?

My only concern with continuing with Classical Academic Press is the lack of proofreading & typos drive me crazy! LfC A is much, much, much better now that it's on its 3rd or 4th revision, but LfC C seems like it is still on its first printing or the second revision. I was worried that the problems would continue with Latin Alive because it's still so new.

I was thinking of switching to something that had a longer track record. Of course, he's doing well with CAP, so staying with it is probably what we'll do if I can't find anything else.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

There are some issues with Latin Alive, from my experience it was mostly been in exercise answers not in the teacher book. The author recently created a yahoo group and uploaded those answers and an errata sheet. The errata sheet is also buried in a weird place on the CAP website. I believe she is diligently working to make sure those who purchase the product are well supported. She has been taking the time to make sure all questions get answered.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LatinAlive/

The things I like about Latin Alive over LfC is that the teacher's book is a complete copy of the student book. You don't have to purchase an extra student book to see what your student is doing.

CAP products really click with us. I like that Latin Alive is set up in a similar fashion to LfC and is geared for middle school students. I am willing to overlook minor issues in a first edition IF I feel the product is supported by the author or publisher.

I have not used the DVDs, but plan to use them next year for ds.

We're doing Latin Prep - Book One (published by Galore Park) this year in fifth grade. The only thing is that the declensions are in a different order. We still do them the LFC way, since we have them memorized. But LFC didn't teach the vocative. Our solution to that is (for example) we chant "dominus, domini, o, um, o, i, orum, is, os, is," and then we yell (as if calling to somebody): "Oh, dooooomine" "Oh, doooooomini" because you use the vocative case for speaking directly to someone. So, for example, if you were addressing your master, you would say, "Domine, ____________."

I scheduled Book One in little bits, along with the workbook. It goes really fast, but if you only do a half page (or three pages in the workbook) per day, it is not too much for a fifth grader. You can purchase some audio files to go along with it, too. Only the Latin passages are included in the audio, not the declensions themselves.

Good luck deciding!

Julie

My kids aren't doing Latin yet, but I do plan to use LfC. Another program, besides Latin Alive, that you might wish to consider is the Galore Park series: Latin Prep and So You Really Want to Learn Latin.

Tara

Latin Prep is the more suitable series for a nine year old with Latin experience - it ramps up plenty fast enough and has a more fun format. 9 is the earliest age I would recommend it for. SY Latin is for late middle school/high school.

Laura

I'm not familiar with Latin Prep. I'll check it out. Thanks!

It's a UK programme, but it's easily available in the US. Either you order it direct from Britain with free shipping from bookdepository.co.uk, or from horriblebooks.com which is a US reseller that orders from the UK in batches.

Laura