Menu

Natural Progesterone and Provera ???

I just got done readinf that book by Dr. Lee "What Your Dr will not tell you about Premenopause" Excellent book.

I have been reading up on all these hormones in our bodies and am quite shocked actually to how easy your body can miss one step and you are alll out of whack.

Kind of like I am now...LOL

Dr. Lee talked about skipped periods and taking Provera. From what I read, Provera is a synthetic hormone. But what I didn't fully understand, is that he explained that "synthetic" does not necessarily mean "fake". So, is Provera "natural"? I do not think I got that from reading up on it. It seemed like women who took Provera to get their periods going were miserable.

Instead he started talking about natural progesterone. Now, I am "assuming" I did not ovulate last month, since I skipped a cycle. I have not had a period since 09/14 now.

My GYN wants me to go in next week and take Provera to get it going if I do not have it by then.

But now after reading this book, I am not so sure about Provera. Is it safe?

And, could you use a natural progesterone cream instead to get your periods regulated?

But I am not even sure I have low progesterone. I am "assuming" that. Or, even how much to take of it. How long, etc? And how do you know if you are taking TO much?

Should I ask my GYN about this, instead of Provera?

I cannot afford that saliva test, and insurance will not pay for that. Dr. Lee stated that the blood test can be highly inaccurate since your levels can change from hour to hour, day to day.

I would love to hear thoughts and opinions.

I don't know the answers to the questions that you posted but I have had experience taking Provera and I know it is something I will never do again. When I was undergoing fertility treatments, I had to take this to jump start my cycles and I was so miserable. I was a major raging witch. I felt so out of control because I could hear myself being horrible to the people around me but I just could not control it. Horrible. I managed an apartment community at the time and my leasing consultant and maintenance people literally had the days that I would be on Provera noted on their calendars so they could avoid me like the plague. I had to spend the majority of the week locked in my office because I was not fit to be around decent people.

Good luck with your decision. A friend of mine uses the natural progesterone cream and has had good results with that.

Oh, and I am very confused on when to take it. Since I have missed my cycle. I think they told me to start it right away, assume it is day 12 of my period, and go to day 26 and stop. But if I get my period in between, to stop and resume again on day 12 again, does that sound right?

It's one month. You're in your 40s. I wouldn't do *anything*. ... I think the reason your doctor is suggesting "treatments" is because you are going to him distressed, not because you *need* to do anything...

But I would not assume that from one period being a couple of weeks late that there was anything deeply wrong that needed to be fixed. You've been to your doctor. You've ruled out any major issues. Your body is likely to ovulate again soon on its own. I wouldn't do anything to mess with that -- you're likely to do more harm than good.

The natural; progesterone is much easier on your body than Provera. I would do that. But, I would probably wait a month to see if your cycles returned normally. This month could have just been a fluke. That happens. Then when you start, start with the lowest dose recommended, .Do it according to the timing your cycle normally would be. I agree with the poster who said that the Dr was giving you Provera more to reassure you. Many women normally skip a period or two. If this is the start of irregular cycles, then try progesterone.

I wouldn't do anything *yet*. I will not be another month late until 11/14. That would make me 60 days.

At that point, I am not even sure I want to do anything with Provera. This sutff sounds like bad news to me. Personally, if I knew for sure that NOT having a period for at all would be okay, then fine. I will deal with all this emotional, crampy stuff. But according to the Dr., it is not *fine* to go over 60-90 days without having one. I don't know why, maybe because my uterine lining will build up to much and therefore result in hyperplasia, who knows.

I know I am tired of going around snapping at everyone though. I have a short temper, no patience, bloated, and crampy off and on.

Kids are sick on top of everything.

Then this morning my garbage disposal backs up. And me, trying to play miss fix it, tried to block the other side of the sink, and turned on disposal, and I had flying garlic shrimp and spaghetti everywhere{{{groan}}

One could be part coming off of the Wellbutrin and the other part hormonal. I hate feeling like this. ICKY.

So, I would rather do the natural route if Dr suggests Provera at all. Are GYN's open to that sort of thing?

Getting older stinks.

I'd wait-and-see. I don't why your doctor insists that you need a period every 60-90 days. It's pretty common in pre-menopause to be irregular, and some people actually just "stop" with no ramp-down into no periods. I've gotten myself to the point that I'm "mostly" regular with hot flashes only 1-2 days a month via natural progesterone, flax oil, and good nutrition. That's good enough for me.

And don't expect that most OB/GYNs are going to be in agreement with natural progesterone. I liked the one that delivered my youngest, but I go for everything else to an internist who reads a lot of the scientific literature on alternative therapies and who supports my choices of that type of thing. I'm sure that some OB/GYNs are that way, but not any that I've heard of in our immediate area.

I'd wait-and-see. I don't why your doctor insists that you need a period every 60-90 days. It's pretty common in pre-menopause to be irregular, and some people actually just "stop" with no ramp-down into no periods. I've gotten myself to the point that I'm "mostly" regular with hot flashes only 1-2 days a month via natural progesterone, flax oil, and good nutrition. That's good enough for me.

And don't expect that most OB/GYNs are going to be in agreement with natural progesterone. I liked the one that delivered my youngest, but I go for everything else to an internist who reads a lot of the scientific literature on alternative therapies and who supports my choices of that type of thing.

I think he said because my uterine lining was thick like I was going to get my period, and that it can build and become Hyperplasia. Affer doing some reading I agree with you. I haven't had any hormone testing, but I understand that it can be inaccurate. Not sure about Thyroid though and how accurate those tests are. But I haven't had any testing other then pap, exam and U/S.