Menu

TPS and geography/work overload

My ds (first year of high school) is taking geography with The Potter's School. He is overwhelmed with the amount of work assigned by the teacher. He completes his work, but hardly has time to do anything else (including study). He also has three other online courses and 4 co-op courses. I can take some of the blame for all of this work because I think I signed him up for too many classes (chalk it up to first time homeschooling high school????).

Has anyone else had a dc take geography with TPS? If so, did your dc feel like it was a lot of work? Are plentiful assignments the norm for TPS? :bigear:

It is so disappointing to know that my son is feeling "weighed down" with all of his work. I don't think AP courses are in the future for us. :crying: Like my husband stated last night, "I have to base his course load on what he can do, not what I would like for him to do."

Any help/suggestions/comments/words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

8 courses is a lot! My dd has only taken 2 courses at TPS, both were rigorous and included about 8 hr work/week. She has also taken courses at Scholars Online and Veritas Scholar's Academy. All have required a lot of work per class.

Are all his classes one credit? If so, can you drop 1 or 2 classes that may not be necessary at this time?

After having mine take a few online courses I've learned to account for the extra time in her schedule. The time required was grueling the first yr.

It was very overzealous of me to have him take 8 courses. I overdo everything I put my hands on (over cook, over clean, over plan,...) . I wish I had realized that earlier.

All but 3 of his courses are 1 credit courses. DH and I really don't want him to drop courses (we did think about it though). We are helping him out as best we can (typing things up for him, reading assignments to him, etc). We are trying to hold out until 2nd semester, then he'll be done with 3 of his elective courses which will free up some time.

Thanks for the info on the online courses. We'll know next year IF we go that route again.