Menu

So the fructose is bad video leads me to a question about agave nectar.

Recently I was told this is a good, low glycemic index sugar. Today, after watching the fructose video (which btw is definitely worth watching) I googled agave nectar only to find it is primarily fructose, albeit from a natural source. Does anyone know if this makes it behave differently than fructose added to foods?

Thanks.

This is only my guess. I would think it would be healthier than other processed sugars because it is a "whole" food. At least that is what I've heard about 100% pure maple syrup. Your body can handle it better because the enzymes, trace minerals, whatever, needed by the body to process it are present in it.

There is a difference between natural whole-food sources of fructose and the fructose in processed foods (especially high-fructose corn syrup). Fructose in fruit, etc. is naturally occuring and as PP said, and the body responds to it differently.

Does it?

Metabolically speaking, fructose is fructose, or am I missing something?

<Sincerely, not snarky>

Did you watch the video? The guy said that fructose buffered by fiber is okay. Fructose taken out of the context in which it in found in nature is unhealthy. It's kinda like drinking a little bit of alcohol with a bunch of food versus drinking a bunch of alcohol straight. Big difference without the food buffering it.

Did you watch the video? The guy said that fructose buffered by fiber is okay. Fructose taken out of the context in which it in found in nature is unhealthy. It's kinda like drinking a little bit of alcohol with a bunch of food versus drinking a bunch of alcohol straight. Big difference without the food buffering it.

Fructose with fiber means in the fruit, such as in an apple or orange, not juice. When it is liquid, it is harmful. I don't think Dr. Lustig meant that as long as you eat something with fiber you can drink alcohol or fruit juice with no ill effects. That was my understanding anyway.

Agave nectar is fructose with the fiber?

eta: I don't know what this stuff is.

No. It's processed sugar. They take a plant, process it, and come out with a concentrated substance. People call it natural, but it's been altered by people. I would think it would be just as bad as any other sugar.

I just read the wikipedia article about agave nectar and it says it is worse than HFCS and can trigger the same metabolic syndrome - the exact list of effects that Dr. Lustig gave in his presentation.

Wow, this I didn't realize. Will need to do a lot more research on this stuff. It is very cheap, but I guess I've discovered why!

You also have to consider what you're eating it with. We use an agave/maple syrup blend on our pancakes. Since I make whole wheat pancakes, there's plenty of fiber there.

Sugars paired with fats, proteins, or fiber tend to be slowed down a bit, so you don't metabolize them as fast because your body is dealing with the other stuff you ate at the same time.

You also have to consider what you're eating it with.

I think the point of the sugar/fiber thing is that by virtue of eating the fiber of fruit and veg you are limiting the amount of fructose you are consuming that is naturally occurring in that food.

Adding concentrated sugar to a whole grain meal is not an equal situation.

Great. I just ordered a case from our food co-op because it was cheaper than buying it locally. Oh well I guess that's fourty bucks down the drain. (That video has convinced me to stay far away from fructose. I am definitely a convert.)

Think how much you've saved in doctors' bills, though. Worth forty bucks down the drain, in my estimation.:)

I think the point of the sugar/fiber thing is that by virtue of eating the fiber of fruit and veg you are limiting the amount of fructose you are consuming that is naturally occurring in that food.

Adding concentrated sugar to a whole grain meal is not an equal situation.

This is so true (red part). Think about this . . .how many chocolate chip cookies can you eat at one sitting without truly feeling full? How many apples can you eat at a time?

Fructose with fiber means in the fruit, such as in an apple or orange, not juice. When it is liquid, it is harmful. I don't think Dr. Lustig meant that as long as you eat something with fiber you can drink alcohol or fruit juice with no ill effects. That was my understanding anyway.

Agreed! My understanding of his comment is just that: the sugar in the apple comsumed by eating the apple = good. The sugar taken from the fruit and used in any other way = bad.

From that, I would think that you'd have to actually eat that prickly looking agave plant to fall under the "eat the sugar by eating the fruit" umbrella. The "nectar" is removing the sugar from the plant.