Menu

Another H1N1 Canadian child death (HEALTHY CHILD)

H1N1 kills 13-year-old Toronto boy; dad urges parents to watch kids carefully

TORONTO — A grief-stricken father whose otherwise healthy teenage son died suddenly from the swine flu struggled to make sense of the tragedy Tuesday and urged other parents to keep a close eye on their ill children.

Paul Frustaglio said it took barely more than a day for the H1N1 flu virus to kill Evan - his "best friend" - who turned 13 last month. "He fell so quickly," Frustaglio told The Canadian Press. "I was watching him. I was there when he died."

Evan Frustaglio's death on Monday came on the same day as health authorities across Canada began rolling out a vaccination program against H1N1.

The teen would not have been considered a priority for the flu shot because he wasn't in a high-risk group.

The avid hockey player in Grade 8 began feeling ill over the weekend during a tournament in London, Ont.

His symptoms included fever and some vomiting.

His dad took him to a walk-in clinic on Sunday afternoon, where he was seen and sent home with advice to take some over-the-counter medication.

The family felt confident it was a simple case of flu that would soon pass.

That seemed to be happening. By Monday morning, his fever had broken and he was no longer nauseated. The family thought he was on the mend.

Evan asked to take a bath. Ten minutes later, as his horrified father watched, he suddenly went limp.

His father tried CPR as paramedics rushed to the west-end home.

"They worked on my son feverishly for over two hours," Frustaglio said. "His heart wasn't responding. The disease had taken over his heart."

The coroner's office had informed the family that Evan had swine flu.

Public health authorities confirmed that Tuesday and scheduled a news conference for later in the day.

Frustaglio refused to criticize the walk-in clinic, saying he was in too much grief to think about what might have been done differently.

However, he did warn parents against complacency or thinking that patients with swine flu will show symptoms for many days before deteriorating gradually.

"This didn't even take a day and a half - it hit my son within 10 minutes," he said.

"If any one of your children has any kind of flu-like symptoms, please don't take your eyes off of them. Make sure you get the medical attention you need and, if at any time, they don't seem right, especially with their breathing, just get medical attention."

Evan's family was taking Tamiflu as a precaution and had immediately informed Evan's teammates of what had happened so they, too, could seek medical attention.

Evan is survived by his brother Will, 10, and his mom, Anne-Marie, who was too distressed to speak at length.

"I'm really having a hard time with this," she said.

The death sparked an outpouring of sympathy and tributes on Facebook.

One writer said she hoped the tragedy would heighten awareness of the dangers of H1N1.

"I feel for your loss; my heart aches for your sorrow," Tracey Parr wrote.

"Hope Evan's passing will heighten the awareness of this flu, and preventative measures needed to be taken."

Frustaglio called Evan a "wonderful" boy who was "full of spirit." His son had switched this year to the Hill Academy north of Toronto because "it was all about hockey."

"My son is gone. He was here just 24 hours ago and now he's not here. He was 13. He didn't deserve to die," he said.

"Whenever you hear stories like this in the press, I say to myself, 'Oh my god, I can never imagine how I could ever live without one of my kids,' and now I'm asking myself that question."

and on the weekend, there was this one:

A previously healthy pre-teen girl from eastern Ontario has died at an Ottawa hospital after being diagnosed with H1N1 influenza.

Dr. Paul Roumeliotis, medical officer of health for the Eastern Ontario Health Unit, said the girl had no pre-existing medical conditions when she was admitted to hospital, where she died over the weekend.

"My concern is that it underscores the importance that we put onto the potential complications of any flu, especially a novel flu like H1N1," Roumeliotis told CBC News.

"It is extremely sad to see the virus claim the life of a child," he added in a statement.

Officials are not saying exactly where the girl lived or how old she was, at the request of her family.

It is the second death — and the first death of a child — linked to H1N1, also known as swine flu, in the area served by the Eastern Ontario Health Unit, which includes the counties of Stormont, Dundas, Glengarry, Prescott, Russell and the city of Cornwall.

A 52-year-old eastern Ontario woman died in June after testing positive for H1N1.

The Eastern Ontario Board of Health said it is putting school-age children on its priority list for the H1N1 vaccine. As of Friday, children living in eastern Ontario will be able to get the vaccine. Dr. Roumeliotis said this expansion of the priority list was motivated by the girl’s death and the high rate of absenteeism in schools.

:(

Wow. That is so sad.

My youngest went limp from the flu several years ago. In one hour, he went from bouncing off the wall to not being able to walk and very dazed with a fever that climbed quickly to over 105. It was horribly scary.

Here's another clip out of a different news article on CBC, with additional info relating to Evan's condition & his visit to the walk-in clinic:

Frustaglio said Evan initially complained of a sore throat and a developing dry cough on Friday night while away at a hockey tournament in London, Ont.

By Saturday night, he had developed symptoms that were more flu-like in nature and when over-the-counter medication wasn't helping with a fever, the family went to a walk-in clinic on Sunday afternoon, Frustaglio said.

"The physician listened to his lungs and assured us that everything is fine," Frustaglio said. "He is breathing normally, continue to give him the med … and keep his fever down and everything should be fine. Less than 24 hours later, my son is gone."

Two players from the youth's team are also being quarantined after showing flu-like symptoms

All of the deaths have worried me, but I think we're seeing an upswing in children getting sick - and dying. THAT is very frightening.

The kids and I got the shot yesterday, but as it takes about 2 weeks for the full force of immunity to kick in, and as we have an increase in infections across the province (and I'm now hearing about schools with confirmed cases in our town), we're sticking close to home for a bit. It's hard on dd12 - she has a large choir performance coming up in the Olympic Torch celebrations when then torch comes here on Nov 6th and they're well into rehearsals ---- but health comes first. (The choir director canceled Monday's rehearsal because SHE was sick over the weekend.. with what, I don't know. The email didn't say.) ....luckily, dd12 knows her songs like the back of her own hands and the festival itself is close to the end of the two week period...

The story about Evan reminds me of the girl from the Spring..let me see if I can find the story.. she was... 6? I think? And was also healthy, with no other problems.. I remember reading it...also Ontario..

Okay here it is: article from June 24th ...she was six, and healthy.

What is the total number of kid deaths in Canada? Don't read the "Dead Kids Thread" at flutrackers then. :( There are over 150 some such deaths in the US.

I'm not sure... and I've been to that thread....it actually helped tip my uncertain-about-vaccinations thoughts (heck, I'm the one who bailed from our seasonal shots the first time, if you saw my silly thread - we did go get them a few days later) over the edge into being there first thing yesterday when the H1N1 clinic started.

Now THAT is flu. Not the "oh, well, I didn't feel well for a couple of days, I think I had swine flu" that I keep hearing from my fb friends and emails. I had flu once in college. I lost over a week of time. Literally. Apparently, my boss took care of me. I am constantly amazed by the number of people who don't realize the severity of influenza.

During the 1918 epidemic, it wasn't the old and infirm who died, it was the young and healthy. That is why it was so devastating.

I admit it - I'm hiding in my house. My immune system sucks, and every time I get a vaccine, I have a major seizure. I'm between a rock and a hard place.

a

With respect to numbers, we have a bit of a *problem* here in Canada with some provinces refusing to release ANY information about some of the deaths - including ages. They cite health care confidentiality stuff, but for heaven's sake - it doesn't give us any private info leading to identity when you state an age.

From reading the story it sounded like the boy was not given tamiflu, but instead told to take over the counter meds.

I'm not sure about that, it does say his whole family was taking tamiflu as a precaution, but it's not clear if they just started taking it after he died or before. If before, it wouldn't make sense for them to take it and not give it to him. Also I am curious as to what over the counter medications he was taking and how the H1N1 "got into his heart" even though his lungs were fine.

I'm not sure about that, it does say his whole family was taking tamiflu as a precaution, but it's not clear if they just started taking it after he died or before. If before, it wouldn't make sense for them to take it and not give it to him. Also I am curious as to what over the counter medications he was taking and how the H1N1 "got into his heart" even though his lungs were fine.

I went and read another article about this boy and they said that they have not had an "official" report that this was actually swine flu. Apparently this is what the family is saying that the coroner told them.

I assume that the tamiflu was started after he died, because all they would give HIM while he was alive was OTC meds. I can't imagine them giving the patient OTC meds and the family Tamiflu. Surely not?

Now THAT is flu. Not the "oh, well, I didn't feel well for a couple of days, I think I had swine flu" that I keep hearing from my fb friends and emails. I had flu once in college. I lost over a week of time. Literally. Apparently, my boss took care of me. I am constantly amazed by the number of people who don't realize the severity of influenza.

During the 1918 epidemic, it wasn't the old and infirm who died, it was the young and healthy. That is why it was so devastating.

I admit it - I'm hiding in my house. My immune system sucks, and every time I get a vaccine, I have a major seizure. I'm between a rock and a hard place.

a

:iagree: with everything you said. When ds now 10 had the flu at 4 and when I had the flu at 16, it wasn't some little sniffle and "hmm...wonder what that was" - it knocked us on our butts for weeks. Ds took 2 weeks to fully recover and start acting normal. Fever lasted 7 days and was lowgrade for 3 more days after that. I got a secondary pneumonia that I refused to go to the dr for (because I was young and dumb) and honestly, I should probably be a flu death statistic right now. God was with me, because brains sure weren't!

I can't get the shot because of a rxn I had last time. Dh won't let the kids get the shot. We are really hiding out right now. Dh is our only thread (bringing it home) and he is trying to be much more careful. We are also doing a whole lotta praying!

I'm not sure... and I've been to that thread....it actually helped tip my uncertain-about-vaccinations thoughts (heck, I'm the one who bailed from our seasonal shots the first time, if you saw my silly thread - we did go get them a few days later) over the edge into being there first thing yesterday when the H1N1 clinic started.

Yeah - LOL I was wondering when you got so brave!

Okay here it is: article from June 24th ...she was six, and healthy.

The parts in this article that jumped out to me is that she wanted her dad to massage her arms and legs. And then she grabbed her chest before she died.

Then the teen boy whose heart was effected causing death.

Is there an aggressive effort occurring to find out what common factors all the H1N1 deaths have, especially in those who had no underlying health issues?

The parts in this article that jumped out to me is that she wanted her dad to massage her arms and legs. And then she grabbed her chest before she died.

Then the teen boy whose heart was effected causing death.

Is there an aggressive effort occurring to find out what common factors all the H1N1 deaths have, especially in those who had no underlying health issues?

There was some kind of evidence reported recently that the H1N1 virus was causing blood clots in the lungs of some of the healthy people and that they were actually dying from pulmonary embolisms.

I went and read another article about this boy and they said that they have not had an "official" report that this was actually swine flu. Apparently this is what the family is saying that the coroner told them.

Most of the major news outlets here are reporting that it has been *confirmed* by Toronto Public Health that he did indeed have H1N1.

Toronto Public Health confirmed that Evan Frustaglio, a 13-year-old student at The Hill Academy in Maple who died Monday, was infected by the H1N1 influenza.

If you go to this article, there's a big pic and a youtube vid that a schoolmate of his made, with pictures.

Made me cry though, seeing all those photos of a happy young boy... :(

a

My son was sick, tested positive for influenza type A. He was NOT horribly ill, it was just an 'average' illness for him. He was very congested, so I was watching him VERY closely for complications (he had pneumonia last year).

Now he is sick again, started with a sore throat, headache, tiredness. Now he has a mild fever, cough, pink eye in both eyes, runny/stuffy nose, etc. No vomiting, don't know about diarrhea.

4yod is sick too, pretty much the same symptoms. She became a bit ill (cough, sneezing, runny/stuffy nose) after a hay ride field trip last week. I thought it might just be allergies, but now she has a fever, REALLY bad cough, and is miserable.

I don't think you have to be bedridden or have horrific symptoms in order to have the flu- everyone is different and our bodies respond differently to viruses.

No one should be discounting anyone else's symptoms as NOT being the flu.

My son was sick, tested positive for influenza type A. He was NOT horribly ill, it was just an 'average' illness for him. He was very congested, so I was watching him VERY closely for complications (he had pneumonia last year).

Now he is sick again, started with a sore throat, headache, tiredness. Now he has a mild fever, cough, pink eye in both eyes, runny/stuffy nose, etc. No vomiting, don't know about diarrhea.

4yod is sick too, pretty much the same symptoms. She became a bit ill (cough, sneezing, runny/stuffy nose) after a hay ride field trip last week. I thought it might just be allergies, but now she has a fever, REALLY bad cough, and is miserable.

I don't think you have to be bedridden or have horrific symptoms in order to have the flu- everyone is different and our bodies respond differently to viruses.

No one should be discounting anyone else's symptoms as NOT being the flu.

I actually agree here too. I think flu will knock you on your tail when you least expect it, but someone who, say, has a little immunity to it may still get it and it be much milder. So you are right, it doesn't have to knock you out to be the flu. I just sure do remember how bad it CAN be.