Menu

Update On My Little Man

Hi, everyone.

I posted a couple months back about issues I was having with my son. He is 7 1/2 and was still not reading and I was just grasping at straws to help him. So after some advice from the board, I took a step back and reevaluated where we were at. I tested his phonological awareness abilities and found them lacking in both rhyming and segmentation. He knows most of the phonograms and can hear and separate syllables with ease. (Which is weird because I never really worked on syllables that one much. He was nice that he was able to just "get it".) So we worked on those two skills everyday for the past few weeks and he is FINALLY understanding and able to complete these tasks. I pulled out Phonics Pathways today and went through the blending exercises and he read 10 words to me without my help. This is the first time he has read anything to me that he hadn't memorized. He was able to segment the words and read them. I am on cloud nine right now.

I also want to give a shout out to "that teacher" that told me a year ago that my son would never learn to read and that I should just teach him to read by sight. Well thanks for ticking me off lady because I'm just stubborn enough to find a way to do anything I'm told will never happen.

Anyway, this is a small victory, but it totally made my day.

Thanks!

Hi, everyone.

I posted a couple months back about issues I was having with my son. He is 7 1/2 and was still not reading and I was just grasping at straws to help him. So after some advice from the board, I took a step back and reevaluated where we were at. I tested his phonological awareness abilities and found them lacking in both rhyming and segmentation. He knows most of the phonograms and can hear and separate syllables with ease. (Which is weird because I never really worked on syllables that one much. He was nice that he was able to just "get it".) So we worked on those two skills everyday for the past few weeks and he is FINALLY understanding and able to complete these tasks. I pulled out Phonics Pathways today and went through the blending exercises and he read 10 words to me without my help. This is the first time he has read anything to me that he hadn't memorized. He was able to segment the words and read them. I am on cloud nine right now.

I also want to give a shout out to "that teacher" that told me a year ago that my son would never learn to read and that I should just teach him to read by sight. Well thanks for ticking me off lady because I'm just stubborn enough to find a way to do anything I'm told will never happen.

Anyway, this is a small victory, but it totally made my day.

Thanks!

Not a small victory...a huge victory! My 7yo still does not get rhyming either.

:thumbup1: