Menu

Sonlight Question

I have a PK, 1st grader and 3rd grader this year. I am thinking about getting Sonlight next year. How should I combine the kids or should I get seperate cores for them? I was thinking about the 3 + 4 core for my oldest but am now thinking of just doing Core 3 instead. I'm adding in math and english so I guess she will stay on track with those subjects and not be behind but my 2nd grader probably woudn't be ready for Core 3.

I wonder if it would be best to combine the younger two with the Core K since it says it can be used K-2. My 1st grader is reading with lots of sounding out but not very fluently.

I know there have been other threads about this but couldn't find them easily. If anyone knows of one they can link it and I'll look at it.

Kelly

I've used Sonlight since I began homeschooling nearly ten years ago and have experience with Cores K through (currently, with my oldest) Core 100. I second the recommendation to ask on the Sonlight Choosing forum, but I'll answer you here, too.

At this point, since your children are young and you're new to SL, it's really not necessary to buy separate cores for each of them. Go with Core 3 for your (then) 4th grader and let your (then) 2nd grader listen in, using the readers that will best suit him/her. I did just that when my oldest was a 4th grader, btw, and last year, I had 5th and 3rd graders using Core 3 while my 1st grader listened in. As far as your youngest is concerned, I'd focus on the basics and read good books together.

I've used Sonlight since I began homeschooling nearly ten years ago and have experience with Cores K through (currently, with my oldest) Core 100. I second the recommendation to ask on the Sonlight Choosing forum, but I'll answer you here, too.

At this point, since your children are young and you're new to SL, it's really not necessary to buy separate cores for each of them. Go with Core 3 for your (then) 4th grader and let your (then) 2nd grader listen in, using the readers that will best suit him/her. I did just that when my oldest was a 4th grader, btw, and last year, I had 5th and 3rd graders using Core 3 while my 1st grader listened in. As far as your youngest is concerned, I'd focus on the basics and read good books together.

Should I wait for my 4 year old to hit Core 1 before I buy anything for her? If I have my 6 yr old listen in on the Core 3 do I repeat Core 3 with him when he is able to do the work or do I keep moving him along with the oldest?

we are doing core 2 now with a '2nd' and '1st' grader, so we will do core 3 next year with a '2nd' and '3rd'. they will be 7 and almost 9 next year. My youngest is ready very well though.

personally only you know the younger child. can the child sit and listen for periods of time and understand stories being read?? my youngest struggled for some of Core 1 last year but she retained more than I thought she would. she doesn't mind sitting on the couch to cuddle though. you could print coloring sheets related to the time period and let the younger color while you do the reading if they need some wiggle time during lessons.

but I do think if you do both together(and that is the point of Sonlight) then do Core 3 and you may need to get some easier books for the younger from the library.

have fun! just don't get 2 cores. the point is to combine. Your other option is to look at My Father's World...but then you may have something that is too easy for the older....

I would not try to do 2 Cores as a beginner. (Unless you are very high energy!)

I would probably start with Core 3 OR Try Core1+2. This is a condensed version of both Cores 1 and 2 and covers World History. I did this last year with my then 2nd and 5th graders, and I was able to add enough to it for the older child to make it challenging for him. Core 1+2 also offers readers at three different levels, so I got the beginning readers for my second grader (who was struggling with reading) and later bought several of the intermediate readers for her as well when she suddenly progressed out of the easier readers. I put my 5th grader in the advanced readers, so they had different readers while doing the same Core. In my opinion the Cores are on the challenging side, so unless you have a gifted child, I would not push a higher core on a child. This year I am doing Core 3 with my 3rd and 6th grader, even though the 6th grader is technically "too old" for Core 3. It works out though, because next year Core 4 is recommended for up to grade 7! This way I will be able to keep the kids together for a couple of more years.

For my older child I add in Saxon Math, Rod and Staff English, and Spelling Workout. I have him do higher level writing assignments. I bought the advanced readers for Core 3 and expect him to read those in addition to the regular readers. He is plenty challenged by the reading and subject material. I am doing Core 3 Science and he likes that as well... and I find it sufficiently challenging as a beginning Biology course.

HTH,

Susu

My kids are the same ages--my 6 yo is officially in K, but had he been born a few weeks earlier, he'd be in 1st. I'm currently using Core 2 with my 3rd grader and P4/5 with my boys. I will do core 3 and K next year. It's really only history and read-alouds that you get from the core. LA and Math are separate. The reading doesn't seem to take too much time (granted, I'm still doing lower level cores, but I feel like I could be doing a lot more reading aloud). It's the LA that seems to take forever for me.

If you decide to get only 1 core, I'd get core 3 (or maybe even 1+2) for your oldest. Most people over at SL suggest getting a core a level or two below their actual grade level. At the end of the year, you can reevaluate and decide if your middle child is ready to move up, or if you want to drop him back a couple cores and combine with the youngest.

Edited by bonniebeth4