Menu

Crosspost/ accelerated learner board... My 10yod says her schoolwork is too easy!

My daughter is doing really well this year. She is making A+/100's on LA, spelling, vocabulary and reading tests, and her math is taking off (her weakness, but getting stronger). She writes well, her 5 paragraph essays and personal narratives are well organized and written. She reads very widely in children's lit classics and historical fiction. She learned how to read well at age 4 and was reading chapter books several months before her 5th birthday!

She told me today her school is too easy for her! How do I challenge her more? We talked about starting Latin next year. I was waiting for her brother to be ready. I'm at a loss! Christian Light is a rigorous curriculum, and I don't think I can skip levels. I think she should be in a higher level though. Or just harder material. Don't really know what to do. Any thoughts????

Thanks so much for any advice!

Edited by LNC

Have you read WTM? Your daughter would be in the logic stage. I don't know anything about Christian Light, so it may already do some of the things WTM suggests. THe logic stage begins to delve deeper into subjects. Reading books and finding the conflicts, themes, etc. Learning to organize thoughts by outlining. Doing more research type papers. If you haven't read WTM, it may help you to go more indepth with your daughter. You could probably still continue with your curriculim, and apply some of the skill in WTM in Christian Light.

Yes, I own and have read all three editions of WTM! Christian Light reading does more logic stage skills. She knows how to outline and outlines her spine for history. Her CLE LA will start teaching her to write a research paper next month. She reads widely for history and enjoyment. Truthquest provides the context for research driven reading.

I'm completely sold on my curriculum choices. Workbooks work well in our family for skill subjects, and our choices are rigorous. We use a WTM/living books approach for content subjects.

I just don't know if I should be thrilled that her language arts curricula are so easy for her, or move ahead. The only bad thing about workbook centered programs is that she would be lost to simply just skip a year.

Edited by LNC

My husband just said, "Only a homeschool mom would have self-doubt about a straight A student." :001_smile:

I'm probably overthinking this and she's fine... Thanks though!

:lol:Too True! Maybe the answer is just to let her work quickly and let her find projects/books on her own time that challenge her.