Menu

What levels of R&S English are worth high school credit?

My son will finish R&S 6 by the end of 8th grade. Could I give high school credit for Grade 7 and 8?

Just thinking ahead here. :001_smile:

Yes--as a component of an English program. I wouldn't count them as a full English credit. We did much more writing and added in literature by high school. The grammar is fine for high school. jmoo

Yes--as a component of an English program. I wouldn't count them as a full English credit. We did much more writing and added in literature by high school. The grammar is fine for high school. jmoo

We are using the grammar portions of R&S 7 and 8 over the four high school years. They are an adjunct to other English studies taught by our writing tutor.

I just want them (him, actually, only 1 high schooler at present) to keep up with his grammar skills in order to be fresh for college entrance tests and college level lit classes. Also, diagramming will help when he starts in on a difficult second language next year.

I think just finishing through Level 6 puts any kid far ahead of most other students when it comes to the amount of grammar learned in R&S.

Along with a literature study, you would of course count 9th and 10th for high school credit. Not sure I'd count 7th and 8th, though.

OTOH, it's your school. You can "count" what you want. The instructional materials used are not included on your dc's transcript, and even if you wrote a course description which included bibliographies, every book has a title--IOW, not just "Level 7"--so it wouldn't be obvious that the text was not high school level. I haven't seen a public school English book in a long time, so I don't know how R&S's English books compare. I just know they are GOOD.