Menu

Which brands of jeans last longest?

I don't know about best, but I'd turn anyone away from Old Navy for jeans. I bought 6yo & 3yo ds jeans from there last fall, and each of them had a hole in them after about the 3rd wash. These weren't holes that come from wear. They were obvious material flaws in weird places. If that had happened once, I'd probably not think much about it, but since it happened to both of their jeans that I had just purchased, I counted it as cheaply-made jeans.

I don't know about best, but I'd turn anyone away from Old Navy for jeans. I bought 6yo & 3yo ds jeans from there last fall, and each of them had a hole in them after about the 3rd wash. These weren't holes that come from wear. They were obvious material flaws in weird places. If that had happened once, I'd probably not think much about it, but since it happened to both of their jeans that I had just purchased, I counted it as cheaply-made jeans.

Yep. We've been buying jeans through Old Navy.

Pants never fit Pirate for more than one season so I have no idea which ones can handle his abuse for the long run. Pirate is so rough on pants that I refuse to buy them new. He gets 2nd hand twice a year.

I have 4 guys, so suitability for becoming a hand-me-down is important!

Land's End jeans have held up the best for Mac. I buy them from their overstock store and save quite a bit. We've also had good luck with plain Wrangler jeans. I've found that Old Navy jeans and the thinner, distressed jeans (no matter the brand) don't hold up well at all to an active 5 year old.

I buy my guys' pants at Sears through their KidVantage program. As long as you keep the receipt, they will replace pants that get roughed up. They cover all brands, including Levis and Lees.

I use that, too, even though I only have one boy. He wears through knees very quickly sometimes, though Levis seem to hold up well.

I buy my guys' pants at Sears through their KidVantage program. As long as you keep the receipt, they will replace pants that get roughed up. They cover all brands, including Levis and Lees.

I didn't know that about Sears. Thank you. I'm going to pass that along to my mom. She buys the kids clothes from there but never gives me the receipt. That would be great since my girls hand down from oldest to younger without storing it at all.

I prefer Toughskins from Sears for DS1 who's horrible on clothes. Even though the knees are re-inforced, he still gets holes. HOwever, the rest of the jeans are still doing pretty well, so they do well for playclothes for him and then to hand them down to DS2 who hasn't put a hole in a knee in his life.

Wow, I thought it was just my son who ripped through the knees of several pairs of Old Navy jeans ...

Tara

Pricey but very durable. Also they tend to plan style features into their clothes that enable kids to wear them longer than most--cuffs that look cute rolled up but can be worn down perfectly well once the legs are longer, etc. If you don't feel that the wear you received from their clothing is reasonable, you can take it back for a refund. You need the receipt for that, though. They are very reasonable about that kind of thing, my SIL tells me.

For girls the most durable after Gymboree that I have found is Justice (formerly Limited, Too). Mervyn's was great but is out of business, and their house brand was not picked up by their buyer as far as I know.

GAP seems to be pretty durable as well. The problem I am having is that I need slims and most brands seem to cut off the slims at size 12, which is fine for ds2, but ds1 needs 16 slims. I will have to check out the Land's End and see how their sizing works. I would LOVE to be able to pass some jeans on from ds1 to ds2 now that they are both in slims again. Just never seems to happen b/c of the "hole" issue.

I used to do the Sears thing (make sure you sign up for KidVantage so that you can get a coupon after spending so much, I think $100), but it got to the point where I was having to go back so often and my Sears is a pain to deal with. I wasn't buying Levis, though. Some years, I have been fortunate enough to find what I have needed at the thrift store, but not this year for ds1. :( Just bought three pair of GAP for ds2 at the thrift store for $7.50 total. They were in excellent condition.

GAP seems to be pretty durable as well. The problem I am having is that I need slims and most brands seem to cut off the slims at size 12, which is fine for ds2, but ds1 needs 16 slims.

LE slims work for him, although I had to run extra elastic through some gathered waist ones that we bought.

Laura