Menu

looking for some interesting toy/activitiy ideas for 4 and 6 yo boys

I'm trying to get a head start on some christmas ideas. If you don't mind I'd like to pick the hive mind and maybe this thread will help others who are looking for ideas. I have lots of things to NOT try thanks to the other thread about the worst toys. :) Oh, and if it's an activity or toy that I could make for them, I'm fairly handy, can sew, etc.

I'd like some interesting gift ideas for my 4 yo and 6 yo. I'd like the thing to be not expensive (under $35ish??). Something long lasting...will keep the love going for several years. Something that gives true challenging entertainment value and isn't loud visually or acoustically (like flashing lights and music with big plastic gaudy colors).

Here's a bit about my boys...

4yo is very detail oriented. Doesn't really like building things, like legos, lincoln logs, etc. He's very into letters and words and writing. He loves guitars and music...his favorite activity is listening to music (loves celtic/irish influences) or playing his guitar. He is extremely observant and very into the process of things rather than the outcome or result. I'm quite convinced that the only reason he likes to ride his bike is because he can think about the pedals going around and how the chain works, not because he likes to go fast.

6yo loves adventure, pretend, drama, imaginative play. Loves to read, act out stories. he loves Narnia and anything knight related, but we're trying to keep the weapon type stuff low key. He's all about action, getting to the next "thing" and big kind of fun.

Any ideas? I'm at a total loss...

they love playmobil. They have the Eagle Castle and another castle that folds together. We have lots of "guys" and horses. They spend hours playing with this stuff. It does have a lot of little pieces and I have a hard time getting the Eagle casle to stay put together so they mostly play with the guys and the front of the castle with their building blocks.

they love playmobil. They have the Eagle Castle and another castle that folds together. We have lots of "guys" and horses. They spend hours playing with this stuff. It does have a lot of little pieces and I have a hard time getting the Eagle casle to stay put together so they mostly play with the guys and the front of the castle with their building blocks.

My 4 yo ds loves the Vikings and pirates, but loves the carry-along dollhouse best of all:001_smile: We are fortunate to have so many nice toys given by others and handed down that I don't buy very much, but Legos and Playmobil are what I usually spend money on.