Menu

withdrawing from school

I know in our state (OK) it's my right to withdraw, but I was wondering what you recommend. Should give the school notice? Should I hand deliver the letter to the superintendent?

We have a teacher conference scheduled next Thursday. Should I let her know then? I am sure my dd has been talking about homeschooling. She is in 2nd grade. No rush on pullling her out because I haven't even ordered a curriculum, but we do have things we can start working on.

Well, I probably wouldn't tell anyone ahead of time (because then you won't have to defend your decision), but I would "officially" withdraw a dc; if you don't, you might have problems with the school thinking your dc is just truant.

As far as saying anything to the teacher next week...*I* probably would not, but I'm thinking your best bet is to talk to some local hsers and see what the climate is in your school district. It's probably pretty good, given your OK Constitutional right to hs. But I'd still talk with some locals.

We went through this last summer. We're in Missouri, so we're probably a little different. I sent a certified letter to both the school district superintendent and the principal.

I would NOT mention ANYTHING until the day you take your kids out. I told my kids to not say anything at school about the subject. Some schools and teachers get really belligerent about it. One of the office secretaries saw me and my daughter at girl scouts and said, "So, you won't send her to school, but she can do girl scouts?" in this really nasty tone in front of all the other parents.

Just be careful. They're not going to be receptive about the idea.

I think it depends on the school. I told a few teachers I had been working with that we were going to start homeschooling, and when the general population of the school knew the last few days we were there, the teachers were much more supportive and understanding than the parents. The teachers all seemed to understand why I was doing it, whereas the parents did not.

I'd follow the notification laws in your state, pretty much to the letter. For us here in VA, it's just a letter of intent to the superintendent. I do call the school at the beginning of the year (not going to make a special trip) and either leave a message or talk to the secretary. I just say, "This is (dd's) mom, Chris (last name). I'm just making a courtesy call to you to tell you we've decided to homeschool this year. We've already sent in our intent letter. Thanks so much!" and that's it. No explanations, just a friendly and firm heads-up so they don't have to put dd in a class.

Since you are withdrawing, I'd use the words "we've decided to homeschool." You don't need to give reasons, reassure them, or make a complaint. Let your action speak for itself, and let them draw their own conclusions. HOWEVER--

Unless you hate her teacher, I'd go ahead and make your plan, and then hold a final conference IF you want to know the progress your child made, or anything else the teacher noticed. Why not get the teacher's perspective? If she starts in on homeschooling, just politely and calmly say that's really not up for discussion, but you appreciate her interest.

Good luck!

Just be careful. They're not going to be receptive about the idea.

I've had the opposite experience. Our school population has changed dramatically in the past 10 years, with the numbers of behavioral problems, at-risk, and special needs populations climbing. I didn't tell the school ahead of pulling my child out but the teachers I've talked with since have all been very supportive. They're all frustrated too.

I wish that were the case around here. We are in the #2 school district in the state and everybody (we're in the suburbs) constantly raves about the school. My neighbors thought I had lost my mind. One of them tried to "talk me down". :lol:

I hope my experience was just an isolated one...:glare: