Menu

Heifer International

Our dc are considering the possibility of making donation to Heifer International during the holiday season. From everything I have learned so far, this is a reputable organization that seeks to help families in important and legitimate ways.

What says the hive?

We do Heifer gifts every year. Be advised you don't really donate a sheep or whatever--not specifically. The $ goes in a pool and they draw from it, but they do buy livestock (just saying this in case anyone has young children who might want to "visit" their animal--it's been known to have been asked before! lol).

Every year I make donations in the names of various relatives, and send them a Christmas ornament of the "animal" I donated (duck, rabbit, goat, whatever) with the year written on it, along with a Heifer holiday card saying what I donated in their name. (When you donate, Heifer sends you a gift card to give the recipient.)

Jackie

for your replies.

Our dc are thinking of donating a flock of chicks, or perhaps some bees using money they have earned doing outside chores.

It looks like this will be a wonderful way to encourage them in their desire to give to others who are in need!

We've supported them for years. I really like the "passing on" of the gift where the recipient gives some of the offspring of the donated animal to another family in need in their area. The organization provides training and support for the people to learn to properly care for the animals as well, and gives animals appropriate for the culture and location. I also appreciate that, although I believe they were started as a religious organization and partner with many houses of worship, there does not appear to be any proselytization associated with the receiving of the animal.

We used to give to Heifer but one day my dh got two solicitations in the mail, one from Heifer and one from Food for The Poor. The Heifer one was very slick and all about how great the donor was and the one from Food for the Poor was all about the work they were trying to do. So he researched them both. Heifer gets a lot of attention and has celebrity endorsements, etc. About 75% of the donations go to the poor. Food for the Poor is low profile and over 96% of donations go directly to the poor. So we give to Food for the Poor now. Heifer however works all over the world, Food for the Poor concentrates on Latin America and the Caribbean. Food for the Poor is Catholic though I never got any impression that it pushes that on its recipients. I'm not knocking Heifer at all. But we just decided to go for the smaller, less glitzy and more direct organization rather than Heifer. One can only give so much so that just feels better for us.

I really like the "passing on" of the gift where the recipient gives some of the offspring of the donated animal to another family in need in their area. The organization provides training and support for the people to learn to properly care for the animals as well, and gives animals appropriate for the culture and location.

Thanks Karen (and everyone :001_smile:). We liked these things about the program too!

We love them and are thinking of buying chicks or bees this year as a family. I remember Heifer Foundation as a teenager over 20 years ago and my dad said they are still great and has taken his youth group on missions to their farm in California. I like that some of the animals go to families in need here in America as well. Good to know some of it stays at home.

I had the privilege of working with Heifer Project in Bolivia in 1992. They would give a breeding pair of sheep to a family who had already planted sustainable grasses on their land. Once the pair had offspring, the first ewe lamb was given to a neighbor who had also prepared their land in some way. It was great program. My small part in it was painting signs for each family that read "Participante de programa pro oveja".