Menu

Another child gone

It seems like there is some tragedy involving a child every day here. Our city has a crime index of 2, which means it is only safer than 2% of the other cities in the U.S.

This happened a few days ago. Things like this really break my heart because they easily could have been avoided.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/tennessee/101909_House_Fire_Sends_Two_Kids_to_Hospital

Look at what the boys' aunt has to say about it. And they aren't filing charges. I guess the jails are too full...

It seems like there is some tragedy involving a child every day here. Our city has a crime index of 2, which means it is only safer than 2% of the other cities in the U.S.

This happened a few days ago. Things like this really break my heart because they easily could have been avoided.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/tennessee/101909_House_Fire_Sends_Two_Kids_to_Hospital

Look at what the boys' aunt has to say about it. And they aren't filing charges. I guess the jails are too full...

I just want to reach through that news story and smack that aunt right upside the head. TO be more worried about her flipping food stamp card than about her little nephews being in fire like that. The mother and aunt both need to be arrested and charged with child neglect/endangerment, and manslaughter at the very least. Even on my worst days of frustration with my kids I could never imagine valueing a food stamp card more than their life. Just sick.

As to the story of the little girl it is just heartbreaking. There seems to be more and more stories of kids killing kids and it really makes me wonder why that is. Nature vs nurture etc. My heart breaks both for the family of the little girl and for the family who raised a killer(provided of course they actually tried their best to be good parents kwim).

Unbelievable. And yes, charges most certainly should be filed. The food stamp card comment seems.....out of place. I know some people just ramble when they're upset, but her own whole comment is off-putting.

The aunt's comments are totally disgusting. Unbelievable!

Ever since that 15 year old's "friends" set him on fire a little while ago, I have been wondering what is going on with kids. Why are they killing each other? It is sad... and scary.

The whole thing is horrible and the aunt sounds more than a little nuts - but, did anyone notice that the clip of her speaking is actually more than one clip and that we have no idea what specific questionS she was being asked by the not-on-screen reporter because they don't show that either? I hate it when they do things like this - it's misleading. The woman may be all sorts of things, but I would still prefer *honest* reporting.

Honestly I think it's amazing that this sort of thing doesn't happen a LOT more often. When my step daughter was small her mom left her alone all the time. When we got custody of her she was used to taking care of herself and very self sufficient.

When she was two I went to pick her up at a time her mom was not expecting me. I found her mom's apartment empty and walked around the complex looking for her. I found her mom and a group of other moms all drinking and having "fun". They sent me to a different apartment where they had stashed all the kids with a bunch of candy and cartoons on the TV. There were several kids there including an infant in a carrier and when I opened the door and held out my arms to my step daughter they all ran up wanting to go. That moment is ingrained in my mind like a movie, it was so sad that I could only take one.

But in all the years that she did this sort of thing only one of her children got hurt. Her 18 month old son fell out of a third story window while she was gone. He was attended by his 4yo brother. She was so mad that the screen didn't hold him in that she sued the landlord. Wait for it.... she won $400.

I didn't mean to scare you like that. The 18 month old is now a 14yo. He is flunking out of school, and you would cross the street out of fear rather than walk by him, but he is alive. He fell into some bushes and just got some deep scratches. Western Oregon is covered with foliage and there were lots of bushes under the window.

But CSD did not care and he and his brother and sister live with his mother today. It is not a good situation, but they are all alive and marginally well.