Menu

16 yo daughter has swine flu :-(

On top of my health concerns,(which will be on the back burner) hubby just got back with her and they feel she has all the symptoms. Bad cough, fever of 102(got it down to 101), achy, headache etc....No vomiting though or upset stomach.

She is an asthmatic. She is supposed to take her inhaler every 4 hours, and keep a close eye on her. Her symptoms started on Thursday, but today was the worse. I was praying it wasn't. Again though, they do not test they assume that is what it is.

She is drinking and eating. It is that cough that is kicking her butt.

She did tell me that she doesn't feel anywhere near as bad as she did when she was real sick with Strep last year(she was in bed for a week).

I sure hope this doesn't mean we are all going to come down with this. I am worried about my 11 yo(who has asthma) and 19 yo now.Hubby and I are both smokers too.

I don't know. The media hypes this stuff up so much, that if I didn't listen to the news, I would have just passed this off as either the regular flu, or just some kind of virus. But now I am nervous.

Not that it may do any good, but I am using lysol, and confining her to her room and bathroom. And using hand sanitzer. Probably useless since we have already been exposed.

Half of her school is out sick too.

Prayers would be appreciated. Thank you.

On top of my health concerns,(which will be on the back burner) hubby just got back with her and they feel she has all the symptoms. Bad cough, fever of 102(got it down to 101), achy, headache etc....No vomiting though or upset stomach.

She is an asthmatic. She is supposed to take her inhaler every 4 hours, and keep a close eye on her. Her symptoms started on Thursday, but today was the worse. I was praying it wasn't. Again though, they do not test they assume that is what it is.

She is drinking and eating. It is that cough that is kicking her butt.

She did tell me that she doesn't feel anywhere near as bad as she did when she was real sick with Strep last year(she was in bed for a week).

I sure hope this doesn't mean we are all going to come down with this. I am worried about my 11 yo(who has asthma) and 19 yo now.Hubby and I are both smokers too.

I don't know. The media hypes this stuff up so much, that if I didn't listen to the news, I would have just passed this off as either the regular flu, or just some kind of virus. But now I am nervous.

Not that it may do any good, but I am using lysol, and confining her to her room and bathroom. And using hand sanitzer. Probably useless since we have already been exposed.

Half of her school is out sick too.

Prayers would be appreciated. Thank you.

There is no way of knowing if your daughter has H1N1 unless she was specifically tested for that. Most facilities are not testing for H1N1 specifically. They are sometimes testing to see if Influenza A or B is present. H1N1 is believed to be in the A class. Even then a positive sample for Infulenza A does not guarantee that it's H1N1.

Doctors that are diagnosing H1N1 based on symptoms alone are most likely mis-diagnosing many patients.

My children both just got over a pretty nasty illness. They had virtually EVERY symptom of H1N1. Congestion, cough, sneezing, chills, body aches, vomiting and very high fevers (greater than 103%)

They were both tested for Influenza A and B and both tested negative. They were then tested for strep and it came back positive. They were put on a 5 day round of Azythromyacin and are doing well now.

If they had been diagnosed based on symptoms alone they were both textbook for H1N1 but they did not have that at all.

My point in this is that it is very possible that your daughter does not have H1N1. A diagnosis based on symtoms alone isn't a definitive diagnosis. If she had tested positive for Influenza A it would have increased the odds that it was H1N1 but even this is not definitive.

Hopefully this eases your mind a bit knowing that it's very possible that your daughter doesn't have H1N1.

It does. And you know, I just watched that CBS video someone posted, and chances are probably good, that she doesn't have Swine at all. No, she wasn't tested. They assume that by her symptoms, she has Swine Flu, and most of her school is "out sick with swine".

I will keep a close eye on her of course. But what you just said, and what I have been seeing does not really convince me.

It does. And you know, I just watched that CBS video someone posted, and chances are probably good, that she doesn't have Swine at all. No, she wasn't tested. They assume that by her symptoms, she has Swine Flu, and most of her school is "out sick with swine".

I will keep a close eye on her of course. But what you just said, and what I have been seeing does not really convince me.

My kids only felt really bad for about 3 days. After that they started feeling better.

Isn't it tough to see our kids so miserable? :sad:

I'm sending positive thoughts your way. I hope your daughter feels much better soon. :001_smile:

My kids only felt really bad for about 3 days. After that they started feeling better.

Isn't it tough to see our kids so miserable? :sad:

I'm sending positive thoughts your way. I hope your daughter feels much better soon. :001_smile:

Thank you, that means a lot to me:001_smile: And yes, I feel awful for her.:(

They were both tested for Influenza A and B and both tested negative. They were then tested for strep and it came back positive. They were put on a 5 day round of Azythromyacin and are doing well now.

It is also possible they had BOTH H1N1 and a secondary infection. Rapid flu tests have up to 70% false negative rates. Unless the sample is tested by PCR, we just don't know.

The the OP, the clinical guidelines from the CDC indicate that asthma patients should be prescribed Tamiflu.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/asthma_clinicians.htm

"Treatment with antiviral medication should be initiated as early as possible and should not wait for laboratory confirmation of influenza. A negative rapid test for influenza does not rule out influenza. The sensitivity of rapid tests can range from 10% to 70%. "

If you select to not treat, I would direct you to be on the look out for the warning signs which signal that you should get immediate medical attention: (again from the CDC)

What are the emergency warning signs?

In children

• Fast breathing or trouble breathing

• Bluish skin color

• Not drinking enough fluids

• Not waking up or not interacting

• Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held

• Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough

• Fever with a rash

In adults

• Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath

• Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen

• Sudden dizziness

• Confusion

• Severe or persistent vomiting

My hubby and youngest two tested positive for influenza on Friday and the doctor told us to just assume it was

H1N1 since that is what is now spreading in our area . Hubby developed pneumonia pretty quickly, in the first 24 hrs, so be on your guard and watch her carefully. Thankfully antibiotics and tamiflu have done the trick and hubby is much better today. My youngest two are on tamiflu and were also noticeably better today. They did not have pneumonia but I am watching them like a hawk for any further symptoms since things can get complicated quickly....hope your daughter gets well soon:grouphug: