Menu

Well geez ... if I'd known it would be this easy ...

We have a dog we adopted from a shelter in June. She is the love of my life. She's an 8-month-old beagle mix who weighs about 25 pounds. I LOVE THIS DOG. I have never regarded myself as a dog person until I met this dog. Now I buy my dog presents, talk to her in that silly voice, and look forward to coming home so I can see her again.

My husband told me that the dog needed a friend. I didn't really want another dog because I thought it would be too much work. Nonetheless, yesterday we adopted a second shelter dog, a 3-month-old lab mix. He's adorable. My dog actually picked him out. He's very sweet.

And the dogs entertain each other!! They just play, play, play, play, play. Aside from the fact that I am back to potty training, having two dogs is sooooo easy! Dare I say easier than one? My pup (Pixie) hasn't chewed on a single household item since we brought the new pup (Iggy) home. She's so entertained by him!

Or ... is this just the honeymoon period ... :001_smile:

Tara (who now has 10 animal companions in the home ...)

We have a dog we adopted from a shelter in June. She is the love of my life. She's an 8-month-old beagle mix who weighs about 25 pounds. I LOVE THIS DOG. I have never regarded myself as a dog person until I met this dog. Now I buy my dog presents, talk to her in that silly voice, and look forward to coming home so I can see her again.

My husband told me that the dog needed a friend. I didn't really want another dog because I thought it would be too much work. Nonetheless, yesterday we adopted a second shelter dog, a 3-month-old lab mix. He's adorable. My dog actually picked him out. He's very sweet.

And the dogs entertain each other!! They just play, play, play, play, play. Aside from the fact that I am back to potty training, having two dogs is sooooo easy! Dare I say easier than one? My pup (Pixie) hasn't chewed on a single household item since we brought the new pup (Iggy) home. She's so entertained by him!

Or ... is this just the honeymoon period ... :001_smile:

Tara (who now has 10 animal companions in the home ...)

I was shocked at how easy raising our second dog (puppy) was when we already had one! It is such a cinch!

Now we have 5 dogs. Not easy, lol.

IME, it is easiest to have 2 dogs all the time, but NOT 2 puppies. 2 puppies are 5 times as hard as one (because of the potty training!!!!!!!!! It is not smooth with 2 at a time!!)! My advice is have 2 dogs. . . but just get one at a time!!

(With cats, it is best to get two littermates as kittens. They'll not only entertain each other but also be lifelong best friends in a way unrelated cats rarely are.)

- mom of 5 dogs, 4 cats, 2 goats, 1 guinea pig and of course the kids. . .

We own a dog training/boarding kennel so we are used to the numbers. Granted, the majority spend their evenings in our indoor kennels..but there is an occasional dog or two with 'special needs' that we need to keep in our home for various reasons. Right now we have 4 dogs that are having a sleep over in our home ....and all of them are laying around me snoozing! (they are resting from all their morning exercise chasing each other outside!!) Yes, when one wakes up they all wake up and then it gets a little chaotic--but these dogs have stayed over before and they know our rules! We do not allow any horseplay in the house--that is for outside only! We also let them know which rooms of the house they are not allowed in--once they understand the rules things go pretty smoothly--most of the time. :glare:

I'm a dog lover. I love my dog Lucky more than I love any other family member (sorta kidding). When dogs in a household are friends, it can be a very cool thing.

Enjoy your canine family.

ETA: In the past all of my dogs were breed dogs. This current one is a shelter mutt, and he's the smartest dog I've ever owned. He can open all the doors in our house with his paws. He puts his own toys away; we have a cabinet that he opens on his own. He has a personnal vendetta against the UPS guy.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
sp