Menu

Has anyone used Exploration Education Science?

siloam

We have it and use it only to make a project when it coincides with the OM lesson we are doing. I find it light, but maybe it all depends on the kid!

I know some from the board use it and are happy with it. Hopefully, they will speak up! ;)

I thought it was a little light too for a full program, but I was thinking it might work as a one time a week family experiment night. I have been really bad about experiments. Early on I tried them and it was such a battle to keep little hands out of things (imagine a 6yo, 5yo, 3yo and 1yo all waning to "help" :blink: ), then half of them didn't work right. At some point I quit doing them, and have never picked them back up. I really need to.

Heather

I am using Intermediate with my fourth grade daughter. It's wonderful having all of the materials readily available and she seems to be enjoying the computer-based format. It does a very good job at explaining complicated concepts in an easily accessible manner. Piper just took the quiz for the first unit and I was very pleased with how she retained the information. It is designed to do 3 times a week, but we typically do 2 in one day without a problem. I wouldn't use it for much more than maybe 4th or 5th grade, but we are a very science-oriented family. Here's a brief blog post I put up.

http://asolidplacetoland.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/centripetal-force/

I bought the K-3? I think that's the first one and for 2nd-3rd grade level it's way too light. My dd isn't academic at all, but we did an entire lesson in one sitting. Each section has lesson plans 1-8? It's been since June that we tried it. Making the stuff she loved, the rest, too simplistic. So for this early level I'd use it for K-1st...

We're using it. The kids do the lessons three days per week, and on Fridays our friends come over and we do all of the experiments for the week together.

It is a bit light. But it touches on very important concepts which would be very easy to expand on. This week we covered Conservation of Energy and inertia! They are not covered in as great a depth as I would like, but we took time to dig deeper.

I think it's a good program and we enjoy the labs. I particularly love that ALL the supplies are prepackaged and labeled.

We have really enjoyed Exploration Education. We are using the older version so I'm not sure its different from the one on the web site now. Its part of our yearly plan and a nice break to do something different and independent. We do a unit once a year and the kids do it by themselves unless they ask for help or if I see something that needs reinforced but we also use it as a launching pad for further study. We use it ahead of grade, my dc enjoyed the Intermediate version while in grades 1-3 but they are quite advanced in science and were reading at a 4th grade level in 1st grade. Because they were good readers they could do the program mostly independently with me keeping an eye out for putting things together correctly and handling the hot glue. They loved the fact that they made a lot of the materials and I loved that everything came in the box. The people at Exporation Education are also very friendly and responsive when you have a problem like a lost serial number when you are installing on a new pc or needing replacement parts.

I bought the elementary version for my 5 year old. She is also a good reader but we went through it together. She loves it because she is doing science like her brothers and she is interested and has learned a lot. I can't see doing it for older kids though. I would use the intermediate version but wait until they are strong readers.