Menu

Secular Science Help?

Slartibartfast

We are pretty new to homeschooling so I am still learning my way around curriculum.

We are currently using www.eequalsmcq.com and I am wondering how it compares to R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey. Dd is eight and is very Science/Math oriented. www.eequalsmcq.com seems a little light for her. Would R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey be a bit heavier?

I am balking a little at the $40 price when I am not really sure. I was hoping someone would have some advice. If it is fabulous and dd will thrive on it I will buy it but if it is similar to mcq then we'll stick with mcq. If someone has something even better that would also be great. :)

I am only interested in secular science curriculum.

Edited by Sis

Well, I don't know if these prices are what you are looking for, but you can look at...

Supercharged Science

Science Jim (really like this one)

Ellen McHenry's Elements

Connect the Thoughts (good prices on currclick)

Galore Park Science

Singapore Science

Oak Meadow Science

I love The Happy Scientist's site - tons of simple experiments!

Oh - I have heard great things about REAL Science Odyssey. I've never used it though!

Have fun deciding!

I've just started using both for my just-turned-7-year-old first-grader (life science, which I'm betting you're past). I had purchased R.E.A.L. Life Science Odyssey first and have been using it since August. It's good, but I was having the same problem you're hitting with the MCQ. I posted just last week about it and was directed to the MCQ site.

MCQ does have the worksheets for definitions, which R.E.A.L. does not, so vocabulary is meant to be learned through oral repetition and usage. There are labs for every lesson in R.E.A.L., just like in MCQ, but they don't seem to be any deeper. They get the point across, but I am still probably going to have books available to go along with most lessons so he can get more in-depth.

In the end, they both seem to be fantastic curricula but for very science-heavy kids (like I'm assuming yours is), they're pretty similar. That's why I'm using both, since I'd already purchased the R.E.A.L. and the life science at MCQ is free.

HTH. :)

Well we are doing Life Science since this is our first year homeschooling and it seems that one does cycles and that seemed like a logical beginning. Dd is in third grade. Should we do something else?

They did astronomy in first grade and she has read 5000000 books about it and they did health and she read 500000 books about that. That's about all the science she did (except all the books about bugs and weather she has read) before we started homeschooling. :glare: That is why we pulled her out.

Edited by Sis