Menu

Need Help finding math program for 6 yr old

HeatherM

So far we have used Rod and Staff Math for 2nd and 3rd grade. I like the simplicity and orderliness of the books. I also like that they are inexpensive and reusable for the most part. My 6 year old daughter keeps asking to do math. I would like to just have a little fun with her in math this year. What I mean is, I don't want to drill her and time her this year. Plenty of time for that in the next couple of years. I also don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions?

So far we have used Rod and Staff Math for 2nd and 3rd grade. I like the simplicity and orderliness of the books. I also like that they are inexpensive and reusable for the most part. My 6 year old daughter keeps asking to do math. I would like to just have a little fun with her in math this year. What I mean is, I don't want to drill her and time her this year. Plenty of time for that in the next couple of years. I also don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions?

Maybe MEP?

My ds(6) started with MUS Alpha in for his K year last year. We hope to finish it this year. He really likes the blocks. I like the workbook pages; they're black and white, i.e. non-distracting.

Having said that, my dd(5) is in K this year, and I know MUS will not work for her. Her learning style is very different. I am going to start her on R&S next year for her first grade year. I think she'll love the duckies. :D

Here is a link. It is free. (Just your cost to print) We tried it for a while, and my kids thought it was fun.

www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

You're in luck! A lot of great math program are inexpensive. MEP is fabulous, creative and fun. My dd6 calls it "color math" since she gets to use crayons a lot. I call it puzzle math.

Miquon is also fun, using cuisinaire rods and hands-on, thinking work. The workbooks are cheap, but you absolutely need the Lab Annotations.

Right Start is supposed to be fabulous for that age, although is is expensive!

The Singapore Earlybird Mathematics K 2a/2b is pretty good and my ds used it at 6yrs. old this summer. It is out of print, but you can still find it some places.