Menu

"Can we keep it (a maggot) as a pet?"

So asked my kids. They want to keep it until it turns into a fly. We ARE studying flying creatures (Apologia) for science this year so it would fit our studies nicely.

What would you do? Keep a pet maggot or not. I imagine they are easy to feed.

If you are wondering why we have a maggot, you can check out the story on my blog.

Sure why not. We have a big spider that has built his web between one of our kitchen windows and the screen. He's been in there all summer. I will never open the window, but it's a great working nature lab.

Of course I also have a snake skin we found in the back yard, a skull of something we found at the beach, and we have bird that periodically lives in our garage. I love found nature projects.

:tongue_smilie: Oh, man. I feel weezy. I could keep a lot of things as pets/experiments, but I would have to draw the line at maggots. I had a traumatic childhood experience with them. :D

Seriously, my hat is off to you and I am not judging you. They just happen to be my little personal nightmare.

Happy...uh...maggot farming! (big, involuntary shudder here as I sincerely wish you well!!)

Oh the joys of a baby bearded dragon that was in shock and would not eat...

BTW the maggots worked and he is doing GREAT--and thankfully now will accept crickets--I have about 2000 of those in my dd's bathroom in an UNCOVERED rubbermaid container!

My middle dd's BFF's dad works at the post office... I get a kick when he calls and politely asks me to come in as soon as possible to pick up the LIVE WORMS...he even asked me to come in on Columbus Day!

Oh the joys of a baby bearded dragon that was in shock and would not eat...

BTW the maggots worked and he is doing GREAT--and thankfully now will accept crickets--I have about 2000 of those in my dd's bathroom in an UNCOVERED rubbermaid container!

My middle dd's BFF's dad works at the post office... I get a kick when he calls and politely asks me to come in as soon as possible to pick up the LIVE WORMS...he even asked me to come in on Columbus Day!

:lol:

When I was in high school, I had a job in a pet store. It took me a while to get used to getting and counting out crickets to sell.

We're also at the end of Apologia's Flying Creatures and if I had a nickel for EVERY disgusting insect those kids tried to bring into the house...

:auto:

We're starting Apologia's Swimming Creatures soon and I can only imagine what kind of things they're gonna want to "capture and take care of".